Apple Cheddar Chicken Burgers have apples, onions, ancho chile powder, and buttermilk soaked breadcrumbs. As if that wasn’t enough, they’re flecked with Cabot extremely sharp Cheddar cheese and topped with zucchini chips, too.
I can’t believe #BurgerMonth is almost over. I also can’t believe that I’ve shared at least 5 burgers on my blog this month. There should have been more, but I am lazy. I don’t get to do as much blogging at work with this new job. I just need to stop being lazy and take my laptop with me to work.
Of course, I can’t use it at work. I can’t even take it out of the bag when I’m at work. Something about working in a secured facility. Heck, I’m just glad I still get to use my phone. If I was at headquarters, I probably would have to keep it in airplane mode.
Man, I’d be so bored. Not that I’m addicted to my phone, but a person needs a break every now and then. I like to drool over my IG feed every now and them. Try to drum up some business on there with brands. You know how it goes.
Speaking of which, I did get some recognition for a cocktail recipe and have a brand spanking new – not one but 2 sets of glasses. I can’t wait to share those babies with you. I just need to figure out what cocktails to put in them.
But that’s a whole other story.
This is about this burger right here! Yes, it’s another Girl Carnivore Burger Month Club recipe. I’ve been trying to share the recipes I didn’t get to make this past year for whatever reason. Be it time, ingredients, or just plain tiredness. I’m sure y’all can understand. Or stress. I think that was a huge factor for the last 6 to 8 months.
I’m really trying NOT to go there with the old work situation. The more I’m away from it, the more I realize how toxic it really was. And how unethical some it still is. They put so much pressure and responsibility on the few and don’t make the others there that don’t work work.
This was the October burger. It was a recipe I should have posted about a week or so ago but didn’t get the squash part of the challenge taken care of. Initially, I planned on making pumpkin buns. But, me and bread don’t have such a great working relationship. I love to eat it but hates when I try to make it. One of these days I will take a bread baking class and figure it all out.
The October challenge included creating a burger with apples, squash, ancho chile pepper, and buttermilk. Yeah. It’s a motley assortment of ingredients. But, then again, they’re all a motley assortment of ingredients. That’s kind of the point of the group.
So, for those that don’t know Ancho chiles are the dried version of the poblano pepper. At least that’s what I’ve read. You can find them whole dried in most grocery stores. I found some at my local Walmart and was able to grind some up for this burger. Of course, that’s not the ONLY thing I’m going to use them for. You’ll just have to see what else I whip up with those peppers.
If you can’t find them dried, there’s a link to order some from Amazon. I’m an affiliate and if you purchase anything after going through that link, I will get a percentage of the sales. All in the effort to keep the lights on over here at AKHA. So, thanks!
I think I need to talk about the burger now. Because I’m’ running out of photos. The chicken is not dry. The moistened breadcrumbs, the apples, and the onions make sure of that. They all combine for this sweet and savory flavor in your mouth that is just delicious. And I’m’ not a huge sweet and savory person. But these burgers were on the menu at least twice. They were that good.
The ancho chile pepper adds a nice little kick you’re not expecting. So does the Cabot seriously sharp Cheddar cheese. You don’t expect flecks of cheese throughout the burger like that. It does make for a rather intoxication aroma as they’re cooking, though. Finally, the zucchini chips bring an earthiness to the burger you’re not quite expecting. And it doesn’t hurt that they’re microwave zucchini chips.
Yes, I said microwave zucchini chips.
I have one more burger to create and share this week. Then I’m done until next month when we start up the burger challenges. I hope you join us. It’s really fun to see how creative everyone is with their ingredients.
Oh! And don’t forget to enter the giveaway. This is the last week of prizes. They’re killer prize packages and well worth the time to enter.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped Gala apple
- 1/3 cup chopped Vidalia onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chile pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 cup Cabot Vermont Seriously Sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 large zucchini (at least 2 inches in diameter and 7 to 8 inches long)
- 4 hamburger buns
- Toppings of choice
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the chicken and pulse a few times.
- Add the apple and next five ingredients (Vidalia onion through poultry seasoning) to the chicken mixture. Pulse a few more times until it is coarsely ground.
- Combine the bread crumbs with the buttermilk and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Using a spatula, fold in bread crumb mixture and 1 cup of the Cabot Vermont Seriously Sharp Cheddar cheese.
- Form the mixture into 4 patties and refrigerate.
- Slice the ends off the zucchini. Using a mandolin, slice the zucchini into 1/8-inch-thick rounds.
- Spray a large microwave safe plate with cooking spray. Place one layer of the zucchini slices onto the plate.
- Microwave on high 4 1/2 to 6 minutes (depending on the wattage of your microwave). Watch the zucchini carefully after the 4-minute mark to make sure they don’t burn.
- Carefully remove the plate from the microwave and remove the zucchini slices to rack to cool. Repeat with remaining zucchini slices.
- Preheat a grill on high heat.
- Remove the burgers from the refrigerator and place on the grill. Cook on high heat 5 to 7 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 160.
- Using a jar lid, pile 1/4 cup cheese on top of the 4 burgers. Cover and let the cheese melt 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow the burgers to rest.
- While the burgers are resting, prepare the buns with your choice of toppings. I prefer mayonnaise, lettuce, tomatoes, and onions.
- Place the burgers on the tops and top with the zucchini chips before serving.
Mole Burger with Avocado SalsaRead all about it!
Kentucky Burger with Bourbon Onions and Pimento Beer CheeseClick here to check it out!
Turkapple Burgers with Yumback SauceRead all about it!
Greek Lamb Burgers with Blistered Tomatoes and Tzatziki SpreadClick here to check it out!
Bacon Cheeseburger Mini Meatloaf PattiesRead all about it!
Greek Style BurgersClick here to check it out!
Chicken Fajita BurgersRead all about it!
Chipotle Chicken BurgersClick here to check it out!
Green Chile Quinoa BurgersRead all about it!
Chicken Apple Brat BurgersClick here to check it out!
Thai Red Curry Shrimp Burger with Blueberry ChutneyRead all about it!
Authentic Loco Moco Hawaiian BurgerClick here to check it out!
Mushroom Swiss Mushroom Swiss BurgersRead all about it!
Courgette and Ricotta Falafel BurgersClick here to check it out!
Satay Burger with Tamarind Fig Peanut SauceRead all about it!
Pork Taco Burgers with Red Hot Pickled MangoesClick here to check it out!
🍔 Girl Carnivore 🍔 A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures 🍔 A Simple Pantry 🍔 Abra’s Kitchen 🍔 AcadiaTwo’s Kitchen Antics 🍔 An Affair from the Heart 🍔 Bakersbeans 🍔 Betsi’s World 🍔Bowl Me Over 🍔by Sarah Halstead 🍔Caroline’s Cooking 🍔 Cindy’s Recipes and Writings 🍔 City Living Boston 🍔 Cluttercafe 🍔 Cooking With Carlee 🍔 Convos with Karen 🍔Daily Dish Recipes 🍔 Dance Around The Kitchen 🍔 Dixie Chik Cooks 🍔 Dizzy Busy and Hungry 🍔 Doodlecraft 🍔 Everyday Eileen 🍔 Family Around the Table 🍔 Family Food on the Table 🍔 Family Spice 🍔Farmwife Feeds 🍔Food Above Gold 🍔 For the Love of Food 🍔 Grillax.com 🍔 Grilling Montana 🍔 Grumpy’s Honeybunch 🍔 Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks 🍔 Honeybunch Hunts 🍔 HORNS BBQ 🍔 Intelligent Domestications 🍔 It Is a Keeper 🍔 Jersey Girl Books 🍔 Jolene’s Recipe Journal 🍔 Jonesin For Taste 🍔 Juggling Act Mama 🍔 Karen’s Kitchen Stories 🍔 Kate’s Recipe Box 🍔 Krazy Kitchen Mom 🍔 Life Anchored 🍔 Life of a Ginger 🍔 Mildly Meandering 🍔 Miss in the KItchen 🍔 Palatable Pastime 🍔 Pastry Chef Online 🍔 Perspective Portions 🍔 Plowing Through Life 🍔 PNW Eats 🍔 Pook’s Pantry 🍔 Real Life With Dad 🍔 Sarah’s Cucina Bella 🍔 Seduction In The Kitchen 🍔 Simple and Savory 🍔 Souffle Bombay 🍔 Spiced 🍔 Spoonabilities 🍔 Strawberry Blondie Kitchen 🍔 SueBee Homemaker 🍔 Sumptuous Spoonfuls 🍔 Sweet ReciPeas 🍔 Swirls of Flavor 🍔 Take Two Tapas 🍔 Tampa Cake Girl 🍔 Taste And See 🍔 The Baking Fairy 🍔 The Beard and The Baker 🍔 The Complete Savorist 🍔 The Crumby Kitchen 🍔 The Heritage Cookbook Project 🍔 The Keto Guy 🍔 The Redhead Baker 🍔 The Rowdy Baker 🍔 The Schmidty Wife 🍔 The Shirley Journey 🍔 The Spiffy Cookie 🍔 This Farm Girl Cooks 🍔 Thyme for Cocktails 🍔 We are not Martha 🍔 Well Fed Baker 🍔 West Via Midwest 🍔 What’s Cooking Italian Style Cuisine 🍔 Who Needs A Cape? 🍔 Wildflour’s Cottage Kitchen 🍔 Wok & Skillet 🍔 Zest & Simmer 🍔