Apple Cheddar Grilled Cheese is fall in a grilled cheese. It has crisp and crunchy apples, sharp and creamy cheddar, and sweet and delicious caramelized onions.
Did y’all catch yesterday’s intro to #appleweek? If not, then you need to check it out. There were some really great drink and appetizer recipes. Including my Mulled Apple Shrub Mule. You have got to check it out. So, head on over. Meanshile, I’ll wait for you. See what I mean??
Anyway, day two of #AppleWeek is all about main dishes. That immediately took me to a day recently where the hubs and I headed to our favorite winery, The Winery at Bull Run. This has become our new go to spot and we love bringing friends and relatives there for a tasting and a bite of lunch. If you’re in the area, give me a call and we’ll take you there one afternoon. Preferably early so as to beat the crowds because it gets packed quickly.
On the weekends, they usually have a food truck parked out front. You can order from the truck, buy a bottle, and just chat the day away. Then again, you can get some cheese and crackers, salami, or sandwiches from their kitchen. However, on this particular day, we opted for the food truck The Frenchman.
After checking out their menu, I purchased the hubs a Napoleon the Angry sandwich. Then I ordered a large Mon Frites (fries to die for), an order of baked brie because who can pass that up, and for me I ordered a Hamilton. Honestly, what sold me was the Cabot cheddar. If there’s Cabot in it anywhere, then I’m going to want to eat it. And I did. And it was delicious!!
Now for those that are new to my blog might not know that I don’t usually like sweet and savory together. There are no pork with apples recipes. You wont see any apricots or figs with chicken. The only sweet I do with savory is barbecue sauce. That’s about it. Thus, for me to not only eat this sandwich and like it so much I want to recreate it is monumental.
As a result of both of these events (#AppleWeek and The Frenchman lunch) I had to create a sandwich that captured the memory with a few additions. In my September Degustabox, I received some delicious chutneys. There was a caramelized onion one that screamed to be in on this sandwich making process. Honestly, I think it’s the reason this sandwich came into being so soon. It really wanted to be in on this delicious dish.
I have to say that the first attempt was okay. For those that swear by using mayonnaise instead of butter for the bread are off their rocker. I tried it. It didn’t work for me. Round two was a less firm bun, less juice from the onion chutney, and voila! Lunch was awesome on Saturday because round two was perfect. And perfectly delicious.
First, there’s the bread. It’s a delicious Italian bun that’s flipped inside out. Meaning, the outside is inside and the inside is coated with butter and put on the outside. I love this technique. Second, there’s the crisp Envy apples. I couldn’t believe I saw these babies at my local grocery store. If you haven’t had Envy apples, run to your store and get some. They’re amazing! Third, I melted some amazing, Cabot cheddar. It’s reduced fat, so you can use a little extra and it’s still going to taste fabulous. Finally, there’s the sweet onion chutney from English Provender Co. They were the final touch I needed to make this sandwich amazing.
See what I mean? Just look at all those layers of delicious goodness. They apples are crunch, the cheese is sharp, and the onions are sweet. I added some raw onion to mine for a little extra crunch and bite, but that’s totally optional. See that melted cheese? Those thin slices of apple? That sweet onion chutney? You just know this sandwich is packed with amazing flavor, crunch, and texture. It’s definitely one that we’ll be making again soon!!
Have you made a apple cheddar sandwich?
Apple Cheddar Grilled Cheese is fall in a grilled cheese. It has crisp and crunchy apples, sharp and creamy cheddar, and sweet and delicious caramelized onions. #AppleWeek
- 4 Italian hamburger buns
- 1/2 large apple
- 8 ounces Cabot, sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons onion chutney
- 8 teaspoons butter
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of butter on the insides of the four buns. Place a bun, butter side down, into the pan. Place a few slices of cheese on the bun. Top with two thin slices of apple, 1 tablespoon of onion chutney, two more slices of apple, a thin layer of cheese and the other half of the bun.
- Cook until golden brown and the cheese has melted. Flip and cook on the second side until golden brown and the cheese has melted. Cool slightly before slicing and serving.
Monday: Appetizers and Drinks
- Apple Brie Roll Up by Family Around the Table
- Apple Cider Margaritas by A Palatable Pastime
- Apple Cheddar Pinwheels by Cooking with Carlee
- Apple Pie Martini by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Apple Pie Smoothie by Feeding Big
- Caramel Apple Float by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Caramel Apple Martini by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Caramel Appletini by The Speckled Palate
- Hot and Boozy Caramel Apple Cider by Love My Messy Messy Mess
- Hot Fireball Apple Cider by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mulled Apple Shrub Mule by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pumpkin Spice Crockpot Apple Sauce by I Say Nomato
- Red Hot Apple Cider by New South Charm
- Roasted Apple and Acorn Squash Soup by Caroline’s Cooking
- Slow Cooker Caramel Apple Cider by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Tuesday: Main Dishes and Sides
- Apple Cheddar Grilled Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Apple Cider Bread by I Say Nomato
- Apple-Glazed Pork Chops with Raisins by Love My Messy Messy Mess
- Apple Streusel Muffins by Family Around the Table
- Chicken Salad with Apples and Cranberriess by Feeding Big
- Chopped Apple Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Fall Apples Become Yummy Applesauce for the Year by Crafty Mama in ME
- Harvest Brats with Apple Slaw by Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
- Sausage Stuffed Apples by A Palatable Pastime
- Sage Pork Chops with Apple Pan Gravy by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Scalloped Apples Casserole by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Slow Cooker Apple Cider Pulled Pork by Cooking with Carlee
- Southern Style Fried Apples by New South Charm
Wednesday: Sweet Treats
- Apple and Nut Drop Cookies by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Apple Brown Betty by Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
- Apple Cider Caramel Sauce by Cooking with Carlee
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal by Feeding Big
- Apple Dumplings by A Palatable Pastime
- Apple Oatmeal Cookies by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Apple Pie & Cinnamon Things by Crafty Mama in ME
- Apple Pie in a Jar by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Apple Swirl Buns by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Baked Apples with Chocolate and Caramel by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Brown Butter Apples by Cricket’s Confections
- Mini Apple Pie with Cheddar Crust by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Nana’s Apple Pie by The Crumby Cupcake
- Sparkling Cider Pound Cake by Family Around the Table
Thursday: Apple Projects
- Apple Bacon Jam by Caroline’s Cooking
- Apple Cinnamon Pancake Mix by A Palatable Pastime
- Apple Cinnamon Stovetop Potpourri by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Apple Suncatchers by Crafty Mama in ME
- Caramel Apple in a Jar by Family Around the Table
- Homemade Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Packets by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Knit Apple Hat by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Friday: Anything Apple Goes
- 1 Minute Caramel Apple Dip by Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
- Apple Brown Betty by A Palatable Pastime
- Apple Bundt Cake with Cider Caramel by Cooking With Carlee
- Apple Cinnamon Shortcakes by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Apple Crisp Shortbread Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Fritters by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Apple Pie Skillet by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Caramelized Apple and Bacon Jam Crostini by Caroline’s Cooking
- Creamy Peanut Butter Apple Dip by New South Charm
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Apple and Peppered Bacon by Feeding Big
- Individual Apple Crisp by Family Around the Table
- Smoky Apple Pulled Pork by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Slow Cooker Apple Butter by The Crumby Cupcake