I had never even heard of these fantastic nibbles until I went to Colombia. Arepas de Queso are cornmeal cakes filled with cheese. They’re a national dish of Colombia.
Arepas. Yummy, tasty, simple arepas. Oh how I love thee.
I was first introduced to this yummy carb on my first trip to Bogota and Cevecheria. They are so tasty and yet so simple. It’s like a thicker corn tortilla type flavor, but so much better than I’m describing it.
I had never even heard of these fantastic nibbles until I went to Colombia. Now, I want to master them and make them at home. The ingredients? Three. Water, masarepa (precooked corn flour), and butter. Four if you want to add salt. Five if you add cheese. In any event, they’re not complicated, but I just recently found the masarepa in my grocery. Granted I wasn’t looking at international foods stores, but was THRILLED when I found it on my regular grocery trip.
And then it vanished. *sigh*
BUT I went to another grocery store and voila! There it was, sitting on the shelf, with that angelic halo around it. I think I heard angels singing when I found it. Trust me. You think I’m mad now, but just wait until you try these delicious nibbles.
I’m one of those people that like the corn tortillas better than the flour ones; especially if they’re fresh. I like the flavor of the corn and find that it enhances the flavor of the dish. Something about the hearty flavor of the corn with it’s slight sweet flavor that I truly enjoy.
And enjoy these I did!! The first cheese one I had was at the airport in Bogota. I stopped for coffee at Juan Valdez and saw these gorgeous gems just screaming, “EAT ME!” Since I hadn’t had any breakfast, I easily obliged! I still remember the warm arepas with it’s delicious white corn flavor and the creamy, salty cheese inside. Mmmmmm. *drooling*
There are a few countries that make a version of this. Venezuela makes a larger one and stuffs it; arepas rellenos. There’s smaller ones called arepitas. They’re more of an appetizer type size. Think chips and salsa but with really thick, buttery chips. And not all of then are savory. There are sweet versions, too!!
Don’t forget to scroll down and view all the other Stuffed, Wrapped and Rolled recipes from the rest of the #SundaySupper crew!
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup masarepa, precooked corn flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 2 to 4 tablespoons butter
- Combine the masarepa and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the water and let stand 3 to 4 minutes, or until the water is absorbed and the dough forms a firm ball. If the dough cracks when making the ball; add more water. If the dough is difficult to handle; try adding more masarepa. The consistency is just right when the dough forms a nice, uniform ball without much difficulty.
- Form one 3" ball of dough. Place between parchment or plastic wrap and flatten with a heavy pan.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add butter. Swirl until melted.
- Cook the arepas about 4 to 5 minutes or each side or until lightly browned on the outside. Allow to cool slightly, then carefully cut a slit and pry the arepas open. Place about 1 tablespoon of the crumbled cheese inside and return to the pan; cooking until the cheese has melted on the inside.
- Serve warm with Hogao.
Starters and Snacks
- Easy Apple Dumplings by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Endive Stuffed with Blue Cheese, Walnuts and Honey by Shockingly Delicious
- Filipino Turon (Banana Lumpia) by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Arepas de Queso (cheese stuffed cornmeal cakes) by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chicken Tinga Taquitos with Avocado Cream by Savvy Eats
- Eggy Rice Wraps by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Onigiri by Brunch With Joy
- Stuffed Pierogie Shells by Seduction in The Kitchen
- Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce by Run DMT
- Celery Root Lettuce Wraps with Beluga Lentils by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Entrees and Mains
- Rouladen by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Stracci di Antrodoco by Manu’s Menu
- Eggplant Rollatini by MealDiva
- Chicken Cordon Blue by The Foodie Army Wife
- Stuffed Whole Baby Savoy Cabbages by Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Taco Egg Rolls by Table for Seven
- Shrimp Tempura Rolls by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Lemon and Herbed Stuffed Salmon by Nosh My Way
- Tamales de Rajas y Requeson (Roasted Poblano Tamales) by La Cocina de Leslie
- Bademjan Shekam-por – Persian Stuffed Eggplant by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mascarpone Blueberry Stuffed French Toast by gotta get baked
- Korean-style Meaty Stuffed Potatoes by kimchi MOM
- Strawberries and Cream Pancake Roll by Curious Cuisiniere
- Creamy Goat Cheese Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Rolled Greek Meatloaf by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Shrimp Burritos Con Queso by Cooking On The Ranch
- Bee-Bim Bop Sushi Rolls by NinjaBaking.com
- Angel Hair Shrimp Lettuce Wraps by Family Foodie
- Genoa Salami and Kalamata Olive Calzones by The Texan New Yorker
- Zucchini Boats by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Girl’s Camp Breakfast Burritos by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Crab Louie Stuffed Chicken by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Rustic “Wrapped” Tart with Ramps by Delaware Girl Eats
- Potato Roll Stuffed with Ham and Cheese in Red Sauce by Basic N Delicious
- Ham, Turkey and Cheddar Turnovers by Magnolia Days
- Crispy Chipotle Shrimp Burritos by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Pizza Pockets by girlichef
- Ham and Cheese Crescent “Roll” Stromboli by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Beef Wellington Braciole by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Greek Salad Wrap by The Messy Baker
- Cabbage Venison Lettuce Wraps With Fresh Herbs by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
All things Sweet
- Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Chocolate Hazelnut Rugelach by Desserts Required
- Chocolate Cake Roll by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cannoli Stuffed French Toast by Momma’s Meals
- Lemon Poppyseed Swirl Cookies by What Smells So Good
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Egg Rolls by Melanie Makes
- Raspberry and Lemon Curd Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chocolate Chip Banana Sweet Rolls by Big Bear’s Wife
- Orange Chocolate Swiss Roll by Noshing With The Nolands
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Flourless Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.