Inspired by a pie event, this Chicken Pot Pie French Bread Pizza is a mash up two comfort foods. It’s super quick and easy to make for any night of the week.
It’s NATIONAL PIZZA MONTH!! Can I just say I knew I would be exited to take part in this event? Not only that, but I knew EXACTLY what I was going to make for this event. I think I had this in the works around the time of the pie event? I think? Don’t quote me on that one. It’s been a while. But, it was just one of those recipes I knew the hubs would give me the stink eye for.
And he did. So, yeah.
I, on the other hand, was completely excited to see how this idea would manifest into diner. But I’ll get to that a little later.
NATIONAL PIZZA MONTH! I could eat pizza every week. EVERY week. Kid you not. I love the crust, the cheese, the PEPPERONI! the mushrooms and onions, and then there’s the CHEESE! Oh, wait, I said that already. Oops.
When I was a wee little hoor growing up I was a picky eater. Consequently, I would ONLY eat pepperoni pizza. Pepperoni and cheese. That’s it. In contract, rest of the fam were not picky and would have sausage and mushroom. I did NOT like mushrooms growing up and wouldn’t even touch their pizza. I’m still not a HUGE fan of fresh button mushrooms. My favorite pizzas with mushrooms on them have canned mushrooms. There’s something about the canned flavor and texture I like better on pizza than fresh. Sacrilege. I know.
You see? I lost my train of thought again. Anyway, one day Dominos messed our pizzas up and put mushrooms on my pepperoni pizza. HOW DARE THEY!?!?!?!? Put those VILE things on my…wait. This is kind of good. I don’t mind this combination. Yes. Yes we can have this again. And thus, was born my, hands down, favorite pizza. Straight up pepperoni with mushrooms, preferably canned.
Lately, though, I’ve been digging our local Paisano’s combination pizza. They have canned mushrooms along with sausage, pepperoni, peppers, onions, and good crust. Why yes I AM a crust eater and am known to eat just the crust off a slice from time to time. Though I haven’t done that lately since our standard order comes with free garlic knots. Garlic knots are just glorified pizza dough.
I haven’t quite mastered the at home pizza dough. Because of this, I make French bread pizzas. French bread pizzas are simple and quick. You can top them with almost anything and have a delicious dinner on the table in about 30 or so. Depending on how much chopping you have dinner can be on the table in under 40.
I’ve made some amazing French bread pizzas for dinner. I could eat a whole Cubano French bread pizza. Likewise, with the barbecue chicken one I made, too. Those were SO good!! The hubs, however, loved the Hawaiian pizza I made. While that one was good, I just can’t get behind the sweet and savory. Not to mention how delicious my filet French bread pizza is.
I know, you’re saying, “Christie, those sound somewhat normal. This Chicken Pot Pie French Bread Pizza is undoubtedly NOT normal. How in the world did you come up with such a weird pizza?” Well, to begin with, this started around the time #SundaySupper announced a pie event. I missed that one, but it did get me thinking about pies.
Next I thought about pot pie, which I LOVE and could also eat all the time, but haven’t had one in probably a decade. Someone in the Facebook group asked about pizza pies and then it smacked me in the face like a gnat on a summer day. Chicken Pot Pie Pizza!! However, as previously mentioned, I haven’t quite mastered the pizza dough at home. As much as I love a great dough, I just haven’t quite found a recipe that I love. At least not the type of dough I’m craving in a pizza. So, I opted for the French bread as the base for this delicious pizza. And it’s a pretty darned good option.
It’s a pretty darned good pizza, if I do say so myself. Of course, I did say that the hubs gave me the stink eye. I’m not sure he was as enthusiastic about eating it as I was. But, he didn’t complain about it or say it was horrible. I can just imagine him suffering through the chicken, the veggies, the cheese, and the bread. It was a struggle, but he managed.
I made this one with some convenience foods. I purchased some roasted chicken from the deli section. If you have left over rotisserie chicken other chicken, you can use that. If you have canned veggies or fresh instead of frozen, you can certainly use that. Unfortunately, I’m hard pressed to find a sub for the soup. Some béchamel? A thickened chicken gravy? All in all, I just give the ideas. You run with it and make it your own. Honestly. My recipes are a blue print. You be the designer and decorate it how you see fit.
Yes. I have been watching a lot of HGTV lately, why do you ask??
I want to thank Colleen from The Red Headed Baker for hosting this event and Cricket from Crickets Confections for managing the event. I know how difficult it can be. Sort of like herding cats sometimes. So, make sure to show them some blog love and comment on their posts. Now, you need to check out the remaining recipes from the #SundaySupper group this week. There are some AMAZING pizzas everyone is sharing today.
Inspired by a pie event, this Chicken Pot Pie French Bread Pizza is a mash up two comfort foods. It's super quick and easy to make for any night of the week.
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced in half lengthwise
- 5 ounces condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup frozen, diced carrot, thawed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 8 ounces chopped, cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Combine the soup with the cream. Put the vegetables in a mixing and stir to combine. Place the mozzarella and cheddar cheeses in a mixing bowl.
- Spread half of the soup mixture on each French bread half. Sprinkle with the poultry seasoning.
- Top each French bread half with 1/2 of the cheese mixture, a thin layer of vegetables, half of the chicken, more vegetables, and the rest of the cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over each half before baking at 425 for 15 to 20 minutes or until the edges of bread are lightly browned and the cheese has melted. Allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving.
- Cauliflower Crust Pizza by Monica’s Table
- Cool Veggie and Ranch Pizza Appetizer by Positively Stacey
- Pepperoni Cheese Pizza Sliders by Family Around the Table
- Pizza Beef Wontons by Asian in America
- Pizza Potato Skins by Casa de Crews
- Cinnamon Roll Pizza by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Home Canned Pizza Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Caramel Apple Dessert Pizza by The Foodie Affair
- Cheesecake Pizza by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Macaroon Pizza by Pies and Plots
- Fresh Fruit Pizza by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon Jam, Pear and Butternut Squash Pizza by Caroline’s Cooking
- Bagel Pizzas by And She Cooks
- BBQ Bacon Mango Pizza by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Candy Corn Pizza by Palatable Pastime
- Chicago Deep Dish Pizza by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Chicken Pesto Calzone by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chicken Pot Pie French Bread Pizza by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chicken Vegetable Pizza (Low-Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Copycat UNO’s Pizza by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Deep Dish Fondue Pizza by Momma’s Meals
- Deluxe Imo’s Pizza Lasagna Rolls by Crazed Mom
- Easy French Bread Pizza by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Everything Pizza Tartin by Sunday Supper Movement
- Fall Veggie Pizza by The Culinary Compass
- Gluten Free Curried Pumpkin Chicken Pizza by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Pepperoni and Sausage Pizza Wraps by Food Lust People Love
- Hawaiian Pizza Salad by Cricket’s Confections
- Homemade Pan Pizza by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Lahmacun (Turkish Pizza) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Lunchtime Pizza Muffins by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Meatball Sub Pizza by Life Tastes Good
- Mexican Pizza by Moore or Less Cooking
- Mexican-Style Corn Tortilla Pizzas by Home Sweet Homestead
- Mom’s Family Style Cavatini by Powered by BLING
- Onion Tart by Wholistic Woman
- Philly Cheesesteak Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
- Pizza Grilled Cheese by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Pizza Pot Pies by Brunch-n-Bites
- Pizza Steak Hoagie by The Freshman Cook
- Pizza Toscana by Cooking with Carlee
- Roasted Garlic and Spinach Pizza with Balsamic Onions by Helpful Homemade
- Rustic Bacon & Citrus Pizza by Gourmet Everyday
- Sausage and Peppers Pizza by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sausage Arugula Pizza by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Grilled Pizza by Our Good Life
- Spinach and Feta Stuffed Pizza Bread by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- Supreme Breakfast Pizza by The Crumby Cupcake
- Taco Dip Pizza by Hardly a Goddess
- Tandoori Chicken Pizza with Fresh Basil and Mozzarella by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- The Mac Pizza by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Vegan Margherita Pizza by Simple and Savory
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.