Pretzel bits, oyster crackers, and rice crackers are coated with delicious chili powder and lime flavors to make this game day worthy snack mix for any crowd. Chili Lime Pretzel Mix has that Tex-Mex flavor that kicks all over football snacks in the you know what!
It’s SRC REVEAL DAY for group D. I love love LOVE SRC!
For those that don’t know, SRC (Secret Recipe Club) is a group of extremely talented bloggers, chefs, and food-thousiasts like myself. Once a month, we sign up to participate and once a month we’re assigned a fellow blogger in our group. Once we have found and created or re-created a recipe on the blog we are assigned, we create a post telling everyone about our assigned blogger, their blog, and the chosen recipe on our specified group reveal date. I’m not explaining it all that well. So, you’d better head on over to their website and read about it yourself. It’s awesome and I’ve found some really wonderful blogs to follow and be inspired by.
Like this one!
This month I was paired up with Turnips 2 Tangerines. I think Lynn was one of the first blogs I ever followed on reader and now Bloglovin. I also think she was one of the first people to comment on my blog. Granted, it was an error in a recipe I posted, but still, it was a comment from an establish FOOD BLOGGER! How cool was that?
Some might actually say that of me, but honestly, I’m just a person trudging through life TRYING to be a good blogger. I just love food, love making it, and love sharing what I’ve made if it tastes good. Like tonight’s dinner. It was pretty good. Granted, we’re moving this weekend, so I may or may not be able to photograph this dish for a post. We’ll just see how it goes. I was not as organized as I had hoped to schedule posts for this weekend. We’ll see what happens.
In any event, here’s how this recipe and its thought process went down.
Since I’ve started the PEP plan, I try to monitor my fat intake and my carb intake. This leaves little room for snacks. Potato chips? Baked. There’s little choice and very few flavors in this category. Pretzels? Not any better. I have honestly been jonesing for some tasty nibbles on the weekend. The hubs has his potato chips – jalapeno cheddar – and I have…pretzels. Maybe if I’m lucky I can find a honey mustard or a sesame, but that’s about it. I crave flavored snacks. Seriously.
So, while I was perusing through Lynn’s blog, I found some snack mix recipes. Oh. Yes, please? I have honestly had some flavored pretzels on my radar to cook up on the oven. Seriously. I’m so tired of eating bland pretzels; even those poppers or whatever they’re called. I crave flavor!! I crave lime flavored tortilla chips. Flavor that is full of fat and salt and unhealthy stuff like that. I have a few bottles of sodium laden popcorn flavoring that I planned on making flavored pretzels with, but just never did. So, finding this delicious Chili-Lime Chex Mix was kismet! It was screaming, “MAKE ME NOW!” You mean you didn’t hear it?
Lynn and I have more in common than I realized. We have both been entertaining and planning parties most of our lives. I think I grew up as the hostess for most of my parents’ parties. I think it was an acceptance thing or wanting to please the ‘rents thing. Who knows? I also love everything food related; except the shopping part. Not for the food aspect, but the people aspect. I don’t like people. But that’s another post.
I honestly eat, breathe, and sleep from meal to meal.
I’m always thinking about the next recipe I’m going to create, how I’m going to re-purpose those left overs or use the items in the freezer, and how to recreate or re-vamp an existing recipe. And I wonder why I’m still overweight. Shocker.
Lynn’s blog is chock full of delicious recipes of all kinds. She has meals, baked goods, snacks, and all types of recipes to whip up. This is one of many mix recipes she has whipped up. There’s puppy chow, muddy buddy, and tons of other snack mix recipes, not to mention TONS of desserts, main dishes, side dishes. She literally has something for everyone! But this week, I was all about the snack mix. I highly suggest you head on over there and read all about it. While you’re at it, check out the recipe for Chili-Lime Chex Mix.
They taste especially fabulous with the chili lime flavors that are in the recipe. Lime just screams Tex-Mex in my book. Doesn’t it? The juice and the zest meld perfectly with the chili powder and the Cajun spices. The pinch of cumin I added rounds out the Tex-Mex flavor for my taste buds. For me, it’s not Tex-Mex without some cumin.
This recipe is delicious! The lime flavor really comes through with the kicked up spices. Baking all the ingredients makes them ever more crunchy and tasty. That’s what I need; crunch and taste! You won’t regret making this Chili-Lime Chex Mix from Lynn’s blog.
Please make sure you follow Lynn on Facebook, Twitter, Google +, Pinterest, and Instagram to make sure you catch all the delicious goodness that she whips of all the time on her blog. Also, please make sure to check out the SRC! It’s so much fun to find new blogs and friends to follow.
- 8 cups pretzel nuggets
- 2 cups oyster crackers
- 2 cups cheddar rice crackers
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoon fresh lime zest
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Preheat oven to 250.
- Combine the pretzels and crackers in a large bowl. In a small bowl combine the remaining ingredients (butter through Cajun seasoning).
- Pour the butter mixture over the pretzel mixture and stir well to coat.
- Bake at 250 for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes. Once baked, remove from heat and allow to cool on parchment paper.
- Amaretto-Kissed Butternut Squash Soup by Flying on Jess Fuel
- American Chop Suey by Shockingly Delicious
- Baked Ham and Swiss Cheese Sliders by Lavendar & Lovage
- Baked Pork Chops with Applesauce by Angel’s Homestead
- Black Bean & Chorizo Soup by The Spiffy Cookie
- Brigadeiro by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Broccoli & Parmesan Pasta by 84th & 3rd
- Butternut Squash and Spinach Lasagna Rolls by Loving Life
- Chicken & Gnocchi Soup by Colie’s Kitchen
- Chili Lime Pretzel Mix by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Cinnamon Hazelnut Date Cake by A Calculated Whisk
- Coconut-Almond Barfi by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Collie’s Kitchen’s Roast Carrots by Without Adornment
- Creamy Stovetop Bacon Mac ‘N Cheese by Making Miracles
- Dark and Rich Homemade Hot Chocolate by Life On Food
- Decadent SKINNY Chocolate Cake by Baking and Creating with Avril
- Falafel Burgers by Fearless Homemaker
- Frozen Inspired Cake Mix Cookies by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- GARLIC, GINGER & HONEY CHICKEN by Hapatite
- Ginger Crinkle Cookies by Chocolate & Chillies
- Homemade General Tsos Chicken by I Am a Honeybee
- Homemade Peanut Butter by Lynsey Lou’s
- Hummus and Pita by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Italian Wedding Soup by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Jerk Salmon Salad with Spicy Pineapple Dressing by Couscous and Consciousness
- Kimmelweck Rolls by Fried Ice and Donut Holes
- Massalé Roasted Chicken by Oh! You Cook!
- Mini-Quiches with Duxelles and Broccoli by Bewitching Kitchen
- Pomegranate Poppy Seed Salad by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- “Quick Pozole Blanco Quick Mexican Pozole Blanco” by Curious Cuisiniere
- Red Roasted Carrots by Burnt Apple
- Restaurant Style Salsa by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Roasted Potato Salad by Enriching Your Kids
- Sesame Chicken with Ginger Rice by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Stove Top Tamale Pie by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Tangy Mustard Dressing by Feed Me, Seymour
- Tater Tot Shepherd’s Pie (SRC) by Food, Baby, Life
- Thai Red Curry Soup by Dancing Veggies