Cooking raw filet on a pizza sounds crazy, but if you slice it thin enough, the steak will be tender and juicy! This Filet French Bread Pizza is simple, elegant, and will impress your guests. Serve it for dinner or cut into smaller pieces for an appetizer.
If you’re new to my blog, a few weeks ago, the hubs had to stay at work overnight for like, 5 nights. Yeah. It sucked. It was an international incident and crazy crazy times.
I had this dish planned that week. I had a few dishes planned that week. Some of which I made and some I didn’t. Since this one was pretty quick – I mean, what French bread pizza isn’t? Since it was quick and easy, I decided to make it anyway. The beef was marinating and it’s always a shame to let good beef go to waste.
Oh, yeah, for those that are new, I’m a food hoarder. I can’t throw perfectly good food out. Some would say I’m not being wasteful, but sometimes, it just gets to the point of hoarding and just not being able to throw out that left over half a steak even though I know I’m not going to get to eat it this week.
After walking to the metro and then taking the train home I got home around 6:30-ish or so. Which is sort of late to start dinner. But I turned the oven on, got changed, and then walked the dog. By the time I got back the oven was ready to bake this baby up!
And how easy is it to just layer some meat on some bread, toss on some cheese, veggies, and more cheese and then bake? Not hard at all. Honestly. It took like 5 minutes to prep and like 20 to 25 minutes to bake. Yup. Had dinner on the “table” by 7 and then had 2 hours to chill before hitting the sack and doing it all again the next morning.
Yup. He stayed at work 4 nights, so I had a few nights of this type of routine. Which really sucks on top of the sucky-ness that already existed in this sucky situation. Do you get that it sucked?
But this pizza? It didn’t suck. It SO didn’t suck and was perfectly delicious, cheesy, beef-y, and amazingly delicious. It was the perfect comfort food for this craptastic situation we were in. But it was not the same old pizza. It was kicked up and made fabulous with some filet thinly sliced, some caramelized onions, and some delicious blue cheese. Oh yeah baby. I brought it!
What’s your pizza based comfort food?
- 12 ounces filet mignon, thinly sliced
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1 1/2 cups fat free mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup caramelized onions
- 1 cup red onions
- 1/2 cup reduced fat blue cheese
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Carefully slice the loaf of bread in half both lengthwise and width wise creating four even pieces of bread.
- Spread the marinara evenly among the four pieces of bread. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Layer the beef evenly between the four pieces on top of the cheese. Top with the caramelized onions, 1/2 cup of mozzarella, red onions, and the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 400 for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the blue cheese then bake an additional 10 minutes or until the steak is cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly before sliding each piece into thirds and serving with a spinach salad.