Lemon Basil Carbonara – A Five Ingredient Challenge for #SundaySupper
I wish I had this Lemon Basil Carbonara last night for dinner. We left work around 4-4:15 yesterday. It took us almost an hour and half to get home. I gotta say, on days like that, you want something quick and easy under your belt to throw together. This is one of those meals. You probably have almost all of the ingredients in your kitchen already. We had tuna stuffed tomatoes, by the way. Just saying… *smile*
This week’s #SundaySupper is all about 5 ingredients meals. Sometimes, it’s the simplest of meals that are the best! They’re not over-complicated, stuffed with ingredients, and swimming in too many flavors. Some of my most favorite recipes are 5 ingredients or less. Chili? Five ingredients. Lasagna? Five ingredients. Well, mine is or can be; meat, sauce, noodles, cheese. Countless numbers of sandwiches!! Honestly, there are whole books on 5 ingredients or less. I think Mom has one and we used it when I was there once.
When I make 5 ingredient or less meals, it’s all about quick, easy and delicious. It’s almost always pantry or freezer cooking, or even condiment cooking! Ya just never know. I have a TON of jams and jellies and they usually are the springboard for some dressing, glaze, or marinade of some sort. Or they get thrown into some kind of bar dessert.
This Lemon Basil Carbonara, however, does NOT have any jam or jelly in it. Thankfully. I can’t imagine how that would taste! ICK!
It’s simply pasta, eggs (or egg substitute on our case), Parmesan, lemon zest, and basil. Simple. Tasty. Delicious. And not to mention a twist on the standard carbonara dish. I don’t know why but Spring is all lemons for me this year. And somehow it’s the lemon and basil combination that has really hit home for me. I made some Poison Ivy Muffins that have lemon and basil in them. I don’t think I remember this recipe when I made them. I’ve told you my brain is a sieve, right? It truly is. I’m not kidding!
Sometimes I just latch onto a style or flavor combination and it sticks with me for a bit. I guess there could be worse things!
Please make sure to scroll down and view all the other delicious 5 or less recipes the #SundaySupper crew have whipped up this week!
- 8 ounces fettuccine, or any other long pasta
- 1 1/4 cups egg substitute (or 5 large eggs, lightly beaten)
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/8 cup thinly sliced basil
- Cook pasta according to package directions omitting salt and fat.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl.
- Toss the pasta with the egg mixture immediately after draining to allow the heat from the pasta to cook the eggs and melt the cheese.
Appetizers, Salads and Starters
- Chicken and Spring Greens Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Tuna, Burrata and Black Olive Salad from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Salmon and Cucumber “Noodle” Salad from girlichef
- Yogurt Dill Vegetable Dip from Melanie Makes
- Tomato, Avocado and Cucumber Summer Salad from My Healthy Eating Habits
- Fennel Citrus Salad from An Appealing Plan
- Kale-Had-a-Hard-Day Salad from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Guacamole Deviled Eggs from Ruffles and Truffles
- Tomato Soup from Run DMT
- Wasabi Cream Cheese Ham Salad from Neighborfood
- Latkes with Smoked Salmon and Caviar from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
Sides and Accompaniments
- Candied Apple Jelly from What Smells So Good?
- Grilled Steak with Garlic Cumin Rub from Cooking Chat
- Homemade Ricotta from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Indian-style Roasted Cauliflower from kimchi MOM
- 3-Ingredient Beer Bread from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Potato Pancakes (Reibekuchen) from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Smoked Turkey Panini with Roasted Red Peppers and Basil Pesto from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Slow Cooker Turkey Half Breast from Nosh My Way
- Easy Crock Pot Pulled Chicken from Flour On My Face
- Lemon Basil Carbonara from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Garlic Butter Shrimp from Savvy Eats
- Easy Beef Stroganoff from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Smothered Pork Chop Cups from Having Fun Saving
- Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas from Supper for a Steal
- Chicken with Olives from Noshing With The Nolands
- Salmon with Tiger Dill Sauce from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Greek Chicken Burgers from Country Girl In The Village
- Crock Pot Beer Chicken from Our Table for Seven
- Chorizo and Potato Frittata from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Chicken and Potato Bake with Meyer Lemons from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Chicken Asparagus Roll-ups from The Dinner-Mom
- Spaghetti Squash with Simple Red Sauce from Momma’s Meals
- Tropical Salsa Chicken from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Strawberry Red Wine Glazed Salmon from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Baked Asparagus and Eggs from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Grilled Caprese Salad Sandwich from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Beef Short Rib Bourguignon from Food Lust People Love
- Beans and Egg Sandwich from Basic N Delicious
- Honey Almond Salmon from Family Foodie
- BBQ Foiled Chicken from Meal Diva
Desserts and Beverages
- Flourless Chocolate Cake from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- 4-Ingredient Butterscotch Peanut Butter Marshmallow Sweets from Shockingly Delicious
- Vanilla Bean Honey Ice Cream from The Foodie Army Wife
- Coconut Crusted Chocolate Ganache Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- 3-Ingredient Nutella Truffles from URBAN BAKES
- Chocolate & Peanut Butter Squares from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Nutella Ferrero Cupcakes from Brunch with Joy
- 5-Minute Strawberry Sherbet from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Best Ever Coconut Macaroons from Hip Foodie Mom
- Chocolate Orange Ice Cream from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Orchid Panna Cotta from Manu’s Menu
- Oreo Cookies and Cream Fudge from Alida’s Kitchen
- Golden Oreo Rice Krispies Treats from Pies and Plots
- Vanilla Pudding from Magnolia Days
- Sopapilla Cheesecake Bites from The Weekend Gourmet
- Coconut Cream Mango Mousse from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Peanut Butter Buckeyes from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- 4 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cherry Chip Cookies from Ninja Baking
- Raspberry Pina Colada Ice Cream from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Avocado Milkshakes from The Texan New Yorker
- The Ginger Sass Cocktail from Nik Snacks
- Baked Custard Cups from Soni’s Food
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.