Meyer lemons have the flavor of lemons without the acidity. These Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Muffins are packed with delicious lemon and olive oil flavor and speckled with chia seeds for added protein.
I love citrus. It’s delicious in main dishes, desserts, baked goods, breakfast foods. I honestly love citrus of all kind. Ellen, from Family Around the Table is hosting #SundaySupper and it’s all about citrus of all kinds. I was THRILLED when this popped up in the event list.
So, the other day, the hubs and I were killing time before heading to the local Pet Smart for their dog adoption event. We were just going to “look” and see what was available. I should have known…. That’s what we said last time, too.
Anyway, we were going to grab a bite at our local Whole Foods, have a beer, and then head to Pet Smart. We walked into the produce section and I just stopped at the citrus section. I had never seen such a large selection. Lemons, limes, kumquats, grapefruit, blood orange, car acara oranges in both pink and orange, and then there were the meyer lemons.
I have never ever in my life seen meyer lemons in real life. So, of course I had to buy some! I mean, how can I pass those up? Besides, they would be perfect for this citrus event.
For those that don’t know, meyer lemons are lower in acidity than regular lemons. They were grown in China as an ornamental plant, but when important into the US in 1908, they gained popularity as a food item. However, they really didn’t take off as a popular ingredient until the 90’s. Who knew? I sure didn’t.
Meyer lemons are definitely lower in acidity and have a sweeter flavor than regular lemons, as far as I could tell. Even their zest is less pungent than regular lemons. They were the perfectly subtle flavor for these muffins and allow the delicious flavor of the olive oil to shine through, too.
Of course, the hubs is like, SUPER sensitive to the lemon flavor in these muffins. “Yeah, I can taste it!” Just blows my mind. I think they have a slightly subtle flavor, but he’s all, “There’s definitely lemon in these muffins.” Honestly, it’s they’re not THAT lemon-y. He’s just uber sensitive like I said in this post.
What I think is a hint, he finds as overwhelming flavor. I guess it’s like me and cilantro, but it truly does blow my mind sometimes. I could waive a lemon over a cupcake and he’d taste it. Honestly. That sensitive.
You can see those flecks of meyer lemon zest. There’s also the glistening glaze that packs a little extra sweet tart flavor on top of these moist and amazing muffins. The chia seeds adds an extra little crunch that you don’t expect. They also pack a little extra protein into these perfect breakfast bites.
What is your favorite citrus to cook and/or bake with? Have you ever tried meyer lemons? Key limes? Kumquats?
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup nonfat yogurt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1/2 tablespoon meyer lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon meyer lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 - 2 tablespoons meyer lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons meyer lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine the flour with the next four ingredients (baking powder through chia seeds). Combine with a whisk and set aside.
- Combine the sugar with the next eight ingredients (yogurt through vanilla) and stir well with a whisk. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Line 15 muffin tins with wrappers and lightly spray with cooking spray. Fill 2/3 full with muffin batter and bake at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and allow to cool in pan 5 minutes before removing from the pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine the powdered sugar with 1 to 2 tablespoons meyer lemon juice, 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir well until combined. Dip the muffins in the glaze and allow the glaze to set before serving.
Sunday Supper Citrus Recipes That Will Make You Smile
- Chocolate Orange Cinnamon Rolls by Caroline’s Cooking
- Creamy Vanilla-Orange Overnight Oats by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Key Lime Muffins with Key Lime Glaze by Family Around The Table
- Lemon Donut Holes by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Lemon Poppy Seed Quick Bread by Pies and Plots
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Muffins by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Tiny Batch Blood Orange Marmalade by What Smells So Good?
- 10 Minute Lemon Pasta With Crispy Basil by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Asian Lemon Chicken by Brunch-n-Bites
- Calamansi Shrimp on Couscous by Asian In America
- Citrus Marinated Chicken Thighs by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Citrus-Glazed Scallops with Chunky Avocado Salsa by The Weekend Gourmet
- Lemon Lime Shrimp Cocktail w/a Citrus Yogurt Dipping Sauce by The Freshman Cook
- Lemon Ricotta Spaghetti with Peas by Cricket’s Confections
- Meyer Lemon Chicken Piccata by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- One Pan Parmesan Lemon Chicken and Asparagus by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Orange Beef by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Instant Pot Orange Chicken by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Skillet Roasted Lemon Chicken by My Savory Spoon
- Slow Cooked Orange Chicken Breasts by Simple and Savory
- Thai Lime Basil Chicken Stir Fry by Wholistic Woman
- Banana Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Clementine Pistachio Pomegranate Upside Down Cake by Sunday Supper Movement
- Easy Japanese Lemon Yuzu Bars by The Ninja Baker
- Key Lime Chiffon Pie by Food Done Light
- Lemon & Blueberry Skillet Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Lemon Key Lime Layer Snack Cakes by Crazed Mom
- Meyer Lemon Creme Brulee by Soulfully Made
- Pink Grapefruit Meringue Tart by Baking Sense
- Sittin’ On a Sandbar Key Lime Pie by Gourmet Everyday
- Starbucks Lemon Loaf Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- The Best Lemon Bars Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Triple Citrus Macaroon Mascarpone Tart by The Crumby Cupcake
- Triple Lemon Poke Cake by Shaken Together
- Homemade Grapefruit Soda by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pineapple Orange Smoothie by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Ruby Red Mimosa by Our Good Life
- Simple Meyer Lemon Margaritas by My Life Cookbook
- Watermelon Limeade by From the Bookshelf
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.