S and I do a meat free meal one night a week. It happens to be Monday, for #MeatlessMonday. There are many movements, like #SundaySupper but meatless, that promote eating one meatless meal a week. Even Paul McCartney – ya know…as in the BEATLES Paul McCartney – has a meat free website. Imagine that!
I don’t know why we started doing a meatless meal. Well, I don’t REMEMBER why. I KNOW why; it’s healthy. Those that follow a low meat diet have lower risk of cancer, reduce heart disease, fight diabetes, curb obesity, and improve your diet. Ya know. All that good stuff.
S wanted to do a fish day every week, but fish in this area isn’t always fresh, and isn’t always tasty. Unless you pay a small fortune, it’s frozen fish at beast; not the tastiest of choices.
I suggested a meatless meal one night a week. He was game for trying it out. That was quite a few months ago. I didn’t think it would stick, but it has. I am enjoying trying to come up with recipes that aren’t cliche vegetarian meals like eggplant Parmesan, numerous tofu concoctions, and just plain ole veggies.
I’m trying to make meals that we would normally eat with meat into a form of meat free mail. I’ve made eggplant sloppy joes, portobello wellingtons, Greek style pizza, and red pepper & quinoa enchiladas. Those are just a few of the adventures we’ve had in doing a meatless meal one day a week.
I honestly thought it would peter out; we’d get bored or he’d be starving, but with meals like this one? How can you NOT want to dive right into that mash potato-y, tomato-y, lentil-y goodness topped with mushrooms and veggies? So, try it! Try a meatless meal one day a week and see how you feel. You’d be amazed at the health benefits alone of cutting those 6 to 8 ounces of meat out of your diet.
Make sure to scroll down and check out the rest of the #SundaySupper selection of meatless meals!
Salads, Soups, Stews and Starters
- Spicy Vegan Potato Salad by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Veggie Salad Trio with Zucchini Noodles and Pesto by Hip Foodie Mom
- Olive Tapenade by MealDiva
- Chickpea Chile Soup with Greens and Grains by Shockingly Delicious
- Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Potato Chickpea Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- “Beef” Stew with Potato Cake Tops by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Teriyaki Quinoa “Meatballs” by The Foodie Patootie
- Black Bean “Meatballs” with Marinara by Foxes Love Lemons
- Spicy Vegetarian Meatballs by Mess Makes Food
Pastas, Pizzas and Casseroles
- Zucchini and Mushroom Skillet Lasagna by Curious Cuisiniere
- Four Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Shells by Melanie Makes
- Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cheesy Tomato Casserole by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Deconstructed Vegan “Lasagna” by What Smells So Good?
- Ramen Stir Fry by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Broccolini Macaroni and Cheese by Family Foodie
- Sundried Tomato and Zucchini Pizza with Goat Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Leek Pasta by Neighborfood
- Roasted Veggie Manicotti by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pasta Patate by Webicurean
- Spaghetti and Chickpeas and Roasted Tomato Sauce by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Radicchio and Gorgonzola Tortelloni with Butter and Walnuts by Manu’s Menu
- Quinoa Black Bean Burger with Ginger Cilantro & Turmeric by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garbanzo and Brown Rice Burgers by girlichef
- Tofu Burgers by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Tacos & Everything Wrapped
- Blackened Tofu Tacos with Asian Slaw by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mushroom & Poblano Tacos by La Cocina de Leslie
- Green Chile Enchiladas by Cookin’ Mimi
- Beet and Goat Cheese Tacos with Avocado Cream by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Black Bean and Avocado Flautas by Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Spinach Quinoa Burritos by Alida’s Kitchen
Other Main and Side Dishes
- Vegan, Gluten Free Breakfast Bars by Pies and Plots
- Mushroom and Lentil Cottage Pie by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mediterranean Tomato Tart by Magnolia Days
- Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fontina Polenta with Sauteed Porcini Mushrooms by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Leek and Zucchini Tarte Tatin by Food Lust People Love
- Tofu and Peas Curry (Tofu Matar) by Soni’s Food
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.