I’ve never officially had or made tapas. I’ve made appetizers. I’ve made nibbles. I’ve made meals of appetizers. I’m not quite sure I know what tapas truly is. I should try to hit a tapas bar and figure it out. I don’t believe it’s as simple as little bites or small plates; I believe it is a cuisine of it’s own or a movement of it’s own. A way to slow life down and ENJOY the food we eat. That being said, I’ve made these crostini little bites for the tapas theme for today’s #SundaySupper.
I don’t usually toot my own horn. I’ve made some tasty things in my time. Have even won a contest for one of my recipes. One. Granted I haven’t entered many, but still. These mushrooms, however, are TO.DIE.FOR! They almost didn’t make it to the photo shoot, but I’m glad they did. These mushrooms paired with the chevre are A-mazing. They are awesome sauce with a capital A. I resisted the urge to inhale the whole bowl AND lick the pan. I’m not kidding.
That would definitely have NOT been a little bite.
Too bad there’s no smell-o-sphere or taste-o-sphere to go with the blogosphere. You’d be reaching through your screen to try to grab one and nosh on it. The earthy sweet mushrooms with the flavorful herbs pair perfectly with the matching herbs and smoked garlic creamed with the tangy goat cheese. The crusty bread is just the spring board for all of these flavors. You’re not going to want to have little bites of this dish, that’s for sure.
I think I’d like to make a tapas meal for S and I. I think that would be an interesting date night thing to try. Maybe for Valentine’s Day. Now there’s an idea!! A tapas meal is more about enjoying the company with the food. It’s the experience of eating and not just eating. Take your time. TASTE the food. Enjoy the food. Talk and have fun. I think that’s really what tapas is actually about; not just the little bites.
In any event, I hope you try this recipe. It truly is delicious and super easy. Not to mention, the mushrooms are versatile. Stay tuned to see what I do with them tomorrow. AND the goat cheese. *giggles*
Mushroom Chevre Crostini
Recipe by A Kitchen Hoor (@AKitchenHoor)
- 4 cups
- 1 tablespoon
extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 4 tablespoons
- 4 cloves
roasted garlic, minced
- 4 sprigs
- 2 teaspoons
fresh sage, minced
- 6 ounces
- 1/2 loaf
baguette, sliced on an angle
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Combine mushrooms with olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper. Spread onto a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil coated with cooking spray.
- Cook for 15 minutes. Stir the mushrooms; making sure to flip them over as much as possible. Cook for another 15 minutes, stir, then another 10 minutes or until browned and the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the butter in a small saucepan with the roasted garlic, fresh thyme sprigs, and fresh sage. Heat on medium-low for 5 to 10 minutes or until the butter becomes aromatic and slightly browned. Remove from heat and strain. Toss the mushrooms with the butter.
- Remove the butter braised thyme from the stems and place in a small bowl with the garlic, sage and chevre. Stir until well combined.
- Slice the baguette on an angle and lightly toast. Spread some chevre on a slice of bread, top with mushrooms,and serve.
Here’s what’s on the Table:
- Stuffed Green Queen Olives with Garlic Infused Olive Oil from MarocMama
- Cheesy, Tortellini Tapas & Spicy Bacon Ranch Dip from Daily Dish Recipes
- -Eyed Pea Cowboy Caviar from Shockingly Delicious
- Goan Beef Croquettes from Masala Herb
- Giardiniera Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Bacon Wrapped Calamari from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Patatas Bravas from Supper for a Steal
- Caramelized Onion & Gruyere Bites from The Foodie Army Wife
- Agave Truffles from Killer Bunnies, Inc ,
- Brie, and Honey Crostini from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bread from girlichef
- Clams in Green Sauce (Almejas en Salsa Verde) from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Roasted Tomato-Basil Flatbread from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Herb and Citrus Marinated Olives from Magnolia Days
- Smoky Paprika Peppers from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Balsamic Raspberries with Mascarpone Cream from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gambas al Ajillo from Manu’s Menu
- Squid in Garlic Chili Olive Oil from Food Lust People Love
- Tortilla Española from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Croquetas de Pollo from Cookin’ Mimi
- Low-Carb Salmon Croquettes from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Bruschetta Topping from What Smells So Good?
- Herb Roasted Almonds from Curious Cuisiniere
- Artichoke Heart and Manchego Spread on Fried Garlic Bread from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Tortillita de Camarones from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Patatas A La Riojana (Rioja-Style Potato & Chorizo Stew) from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Gambas al Ajillo y Clementina (Shrimp with Garlic and Clementines) from FoodieTots
- Tortillas De Papa y Atun (Tuna and Potatoes Tortilla) from Basic N Delicious
- Pocky Cake Pops from NinjaBaking.com
- Chorizo Filled Dates Wrapped in Bacon from I Run For Wine
- Manchego-Stuffed Spanish Meatballs from The Weekend Gourmet
- Roast Onions with Blue Cheese and Pine Nuts from Healthy. Delicious.
- Shrimp and Chorizo Tapas from The Texan New Yorker
- Blueberry and Lemon Yogurt Quesada from In The Kitchen With KP
- Chorizo with Spicy Sweet Potato Tapas from Soni’s Food
- Chorizo and Manchego Toast Tapas from Family Foodie
- Roasted Bone Marrow with Citrus Salad from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mushroom Chevre Crostini from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Serrano Ham and Manchego Croquetas with Smoked Pimenton Aioli from My Other City By The Bay
- Krab Filled Avocado Tapas from from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Polenta Crostini Bites with Caramelized Mushrooms: Cicchetti – A Venetian Tapas Tradition from La Bella Vita Cucina
And you know you can’t have a party without wine ~ at least you certainly can’t in my house. Martin Redmond is here to give you the perfect recommendations: Best Wines To Pair With Tapas from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.