Quick One Pot Red Beans and Rice for #SundaySupper
I was all over this theme for #SundaySupper this week. My mind started filling with all the ideas you could make in one pot. The cabbage roll casserole was my first idea. We have Stove Top Tuna Casserole. That’s an S creation. A mighty tasty one, too. Any number of soups and stews, slow cooker meals; they’re almost always one pot wonders. There’s chicken and rice dishes, chops with soup gravies and rice. The ideas are endless!!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE one pot meals. Seriously. How good does this Quick One Pot Red Beans and Rice look?? I know!! smoked sausage swimming with veggies in tasty broth with spices. YUM!
They make weeknight dinners easy and tasty. That’s usually when I want the quick meals with few dishes. Our #SundaySuppers are usually meals we don’t have time to make on the weekends. BUT the weekdays? Almost always 45 minutes or less. There’s a few exceptions to the rule. That’s usually when my brain stops working and I forget to do some kind of prep work. Meh. It happens.
I mean, I have the menu on the fridge. I TRY my hardest to remember to look at it each morning. Some weeks I remember everything we’re supposed to have every day we’re having it. Sometimes, not so much. Sometimes I forget to take the meat out of the freezer to thaw. Sometimes I forget to set the rice to cook in the AWESOMEST RICE COOKER EVER! And sometimes, I just forget to buy an important ingredient and we have to make something completely different. Sometimes I come up with the best meals when I have to drop back and punt.
I didn’t have to with this dish. Almost all the items I had one hand. I simply needed to get some peppers and some sausage. Mmmmmmm smoked sausage. This is such a versatile ingredient. It can blend in mac and cheese, roast with veggies, saute with peppers, swim in soups. It is almost a staple in our fridge or freezer. Before I get off on another tangent, I shall leave you with my quick and easy red beans and rice.
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 12 ounces turkey kielbasa, sliced
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 14 ounces canned tomatoes
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 28 ounces canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat. Sauté onions and garlic, stirring frequently, 3 to 5 minutes, or until onions are tender.
- Stir in the Cajun seasoning and sausage. Sauté until the sausage is brown.
- Stir in the canned tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, stir in basmati rice, and red beans.
- Simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
“Take the chill off” Chilis, Soups, and Starters
- Spicy Sausage and Sweet Potato Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Eggplant Parmesan Soup by The Texan New Yorker
- Cream of Tomato and Tortellini Soup by Noshing With The Nolands
- Chicken Tortilla Soup by What Smells So Good?
- Chicken Corn Chowder by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Spinach and Mushroom Tortellini Soup by Neighborfood
- Lasagna Soup by The ROXX Box
- Beefy Skillet Nacho Bake by The Weekend Gourmet
- German Onion Soup by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- White Bean and Spinach Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Korean Oxtail Soup (Kkori Gomtang) by kimchi MOM
- Fall Squash Chili by Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili by Alida’s Kitchen
“Put meat on your bones” Stews
- Brew Stewed Beef by The Foodie Army Wife
- Dr. Pepper Shredded Chicken (slow cooker) by girlichef
- Pepper Beef Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Slow Cooked Beef Stew with Red Wine, Carrots and Tomatoes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fabulous French Cassoulet by Webicurean
- Slowcooker Coq Au Vin by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Claypot Braised Tofu by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Moroccan Lentil Ragout with Poached Eggs by The Wimpy Vegetarian
“Make room for seconds” Main Dishes
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian Kalua Pork by Shockingly Delicious
- Chicken and Dumplings by Hip Foodie Mom
- Spicy Tomato Pasta by Supper for a Steal
- Spicy Coconut Chicken Casserole by The Urban Mrs.
- Carnitas with Queso Fresco Enchiladas by Casa de Crews
- Slow Cooker Garlic and Herb Pork Chops and Veggies by Cookin’ Mimi
- Jambalaya by Country Girl in the Village
- Easy Oven Sweet & Sour Chicken by Momma’s Meals
- Asian Chicken Rice Pot by a distinguished palate
- Quick One Pot Red Beans and Rice by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet & Sour Vegetarian Stir Fry by Foxes Love Lemons
- One-Pot Lentil Chicken by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Beef and Quince Tajine by MarocMama
- Slow-Cooked Italian Beef Sandwiches by Juanita’s Cocina
- Sunday Supper Pork and Chorizo by Family Foodie
- Mediterranean Chicken Bake by The Dinner-Mom
- Easy Chorizo, Corn and Potatoes by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Crockpot Roasted Corn, Tomato and Broccoli Risotto by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Quick ‘n Easy Asian-Style Quinoa by NinjaBaking.com
- Pan-fried Chicken with Bacon and Asparagus by Food Lust People Love
- Vegetarian Chipotle Tamale Pie by Curious Cuisiniere
- Turkey Sausage and Noodle Pesto by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- One Pot Coconut Rice Shrimp Pilaf by Sue’s Nutrition Buzzz
- One Pot Spicy Pasta by Mess Makes Food
“Can’t say no” Desserts
- Vegan Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pudding by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Busy-Day S’mores Cake by Treats & Trinkets
- Mascarpone Pumpkin Cheesecake in the Microwave by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Spice Apple Crisp by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Flourless Almond Butter Cookies by Pies and Plots