With all the fun flavors of a bacon cheeseburger, these Tacos Americano aka Bacon Cheeseburger Tacos come in a convenient taco wrapper! This will be a kid fave meal any day of the week.
I love mashup recipes don’t you? Wait. You don’t know what a mashup recipe is? Well, Wiktionary isn’t all that helpful with a definition. So, in my head, a mashup is different than a fusion. A fusion is a mashup of two cuisines to make a new cuisine. For me, a mashup is taking a cuisine and mashing it up with a technique from another cuisine. Or taking a course for a meal and turning it into another course type. Yeah. I’m vague.
I’ve mashed up a few things, and I’m not just talking taters. I’ve made Italian Beef Fajitas mashing up Italian style marinated beef with the Latin American fajita. I’ve taken Tex-Mex style beef and turned it into a stir fry. I’ve also turned Chicken Kiev into a stir fry, too. And as to the last example, I took the Texas Caviar appetizer and turned it into a salad. These are just a few examples I can remember off the top of my head. I know I’ve done more things with the spinach artichoke dip, but I think I’ve left y’all with enough examples of what I mean with a mashup.
Mashup recipes, like these Tacos Americano, are fun ways of cooking outside of the box. Which I love to do ya know? Cook outside of the box? Because, cooking inside the box is like coloring inside the lines; BORING! Lines are made to be crossed like rules are made to be broken. Who’s with me?
K. Moving on.
These Tacos Americano are totally rocking the bacon cheeseburger flavor. I’m addicted to cheeseburgers and all things burger related. Hence the patty melt pasta, the chicken cheeseburger sloppy joes, and the bacon cheeseburger meatloaf patties. My obsession with cheeseburgers lies with the special lunch of McDonald’s when I was growing up after doctor and dentist appointments or really good grades in school. It’s a comfort food to me and one that I am not letting go of any time soon.
Not only are cheeseburger types foods delicious, they’re also quick and easy to whip up! These tacos, for instance, whipped up in less than 30. Seriously. On nights when it takes us over an hour and half to get home – oh by the way, the road we take home has been voted the “Worst Damn Freeway in America” by Thrillist. It’s backed up on average 7 hours and 15 minutes every day. It can take anywhere from an hour 15 to 2 hours to get home on that road. It’s just that unpredictable. And don’t get me started on the texters while driving. I blame them for the accidents every day multiple times a day on that road.
So, to say these are a game changer in weeknight meals is an understatement. They’re not only delicious but they’re super quick, stress free, and family friendly! I mean, what kid wouldn’t LOVE to chomp down on a bacon cheeseburger taco!? If they’re anything like I was growing up, they love tacos and will eat them non-stop! So, throw in some bacon cheeseburger flavor and it’s a win win for the entire family!
What’s your favorite mashup recipe? What’s your favorite cheeseburger recipe?
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 teaspoon steak seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 ounce cream cheese, diced
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the thinly sliced onions and sauté one minutes. Add the beef and cook until browned; crumbling the beef as it cooks. If necessary, drain before adding in the spices. (I didn’t have to drain the meat; there was no residual grease to drain.)
- Stir in the beef broth and the cream cheese with a whisk. Simmer until the cream cheese is melted and the mixture has thickened slightly; about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the ketchup, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce.
- While the beef is cooking, place the bacon slices on microwave safe plate covered with a paper towel. Top with additional paper towels and microwave on high in 2 minute intervals until the bacon reaches your desired level of crispness. Cool completely before crumbling.
- Warm your taco shells of choice (I prefer soft, corn tortillas) in the oven, fill with roughly 1/4 cup beef mixture per taco, then top with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, more cheese, and BACON! Serve with fries for a fun, family friendly meal.