Crispy, slightly sweet, and delicious, these Waffled Carrot Latkes are a tasty appetizer or snack.
Once up a time, many many years ago, I hosted a holiday dinner for Mom and my step-dad. Since my step-dad is Jewish, I tried to remain as kosher as possible. Granted, it wasn’t kosher beef, but I’m sure a kosher rib roast would have cost way more than the one I purchased cost.
I can’t even remember what else was served up with the tasty roast, but I do remember my step-dad, let’s call him A, making some delicious latkes. How in the world had I not ever had or made these delicious potatoes piles of perfect goodness? Yes, yes I do like alliteration. Don’t you?
Ever since then, I’ve been meaning to make latkes. In my head, they’re a delicious marriage of a potato pancake and hash browns. They’re crispy but have a little more in the recipe than just straight up potatoes making them just slightly different than simply frying up small rounds of hash browns and calling them latkes.
Then, there’s whole slew of other vegetable latkes like zucchini, carrots, sweet potato latkes, apple latkes, celery root, beet, and parsnip to name a few. There’s even kimchi latkes!! Seriously? Kimchi? Just sounds oh so … different. *waving to Susan*
And, if you didn’t notice, with the exception of the apple latkes – for dessert I’m guessing – they’re almost all made with root vegetables. And here we’ve come full circle!! This week, #SundaySupper is celebrating those delicious tubers, bulbs, and taproots. Er, I mean, potatoes, carrots, and shallots or onions. As soon as I saw this theme pop up, I knew latkes were on the menu.
But, if you know me, they’re not just any latkes! They’re going to have a slight, outside of the box, twist to the recipe! I’m dragging out my waffle make and waffling those orange, sweet strands of carrots into delicious latkes.
I love me some carrots! We eat them often, but I don’t think I’ve posted many recipes with carrots. I made a carrot ginger stir-fry. That’s the ONLY recipe that highlights carrots on my blog? I, I need to rectify that tout suite! I know I’ve made a carrot ginger pancit, I’ve roasted carrots, I haven’t pureed carrots or made a soup. Hmm… carrot cake? Carrot muffins? Okay. You see where this is going.
And you can see how delicious good these latkes are. Those carrots just caramelize and are super sweet! I’ve whipped up some tangy feta with cottage cheese for the perfect little sauce to go with these perfect little rounds of root vegetable goodness.
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the carrots in a towel and wring out the excess moisture. Place them in a mixing bowl along with the egg substitute (or 2 large eggs), flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Combine well and set aside.
- Preheat the waffle iron. Once heated, lightly spray with cooking spray and place 1/4 cup of the carrot mixture in the center of the waffle iron. Close the lid and cook until golden brown and crispy.
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Chips from Momma’s Meals
- Golden Beet Chips with Sea Salt from Sunday Supper Movement
- Roasted Beet Hummus from And She Cooks
- Roasted Root Vegetable Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette from Nik Snacks
- Roasted Parsnip, Carrot and Garlic Soup from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Roasted Sweet Potato Soup from Magnolia Days
- Root Vegetable Soup with Herb Croutons from An Appealing Plan
- Waffled Carrot Latkes from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Carrot Cake Smoothie from Brunch-n-Bites
- Carrot Cake Waffles from Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Biscuits with Beetroot Orange Marmalade from Dad Whats 4 Dinner
- Sweet Potato Biscuit and Sausage Gravy Skillet Bake from The Texan New Yorker
- Bacon-Potato Torte from Tramplingrose
- Beef & Root Vegetable Hand Pastries from Gate to Plate
- Beet, Blue Cheese and Bacon Pizza from Caroline’s Cooking
- Beet Pesto from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Celery Root, Apple and Gorgonzola Flat Bread Pizza from Simply Healthy Family
- Hearty Stew Hand Pies from The TipToe Fairy
- Roasted Root Vegetable Panzanella Salad from The Chef Next Door
- Root Vegetable and Beef Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Roasted Vegetable Borscht from The Crumby Cupcake
- Shepherd’s Pie Loaded Baked Potatoes from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Breakfast Potatoes from Life Tastes Good
- Sweet Potato Pancakes from Our Good Life
- Turnip Rutabaga and Root Veggie Beef Stew from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Wild Rice Vegetable Bake from Wholistic Woman
- Baked Potato Wedges with Parmesan and Garlic from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Beet, Greens and Goat Cheese Gratin from Monica’s Table
- Boxty (Irish Potato Pancakes) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Browned Butter Braised Baby Turnips from Food Lust People Love
- Caprese Twice Baked Potatoes from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Carrot Ribbon and Orange Salad from Pies and Plots
- Celery Root Gratin with Horseradish Cream from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Italian Roasted Rosemary and Garlic Potatoes from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Gogoma Jorim (Korean Soy-braised Sweet Potatoes) from kimchi MOM
- Honey Dijon Roasted Carrots from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Jicama Home Fries from Casa de Crews
- Lemon Thyme Au Gratin Potatoes from Vintage Kitty
- Moroccan Harissa Potatoes from Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Balsamic Carrots from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Roasted Root Vegetable Farro from Cooking Chat
- Roasted Rosemary Potatoes (with make-ahead tip) from Meal Planning Magic
- Root Vegetable Mash from Feeding Big and more
- Rooty Dauphinoise from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Smashed Potatoes from Taste And See
- Smoked Sausage Potato Casserole from Kitchen Gidget
- Spicy Carrots & Potatoes from Sweet Mornings
- Sweet Potato Shoestring Fries from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apples, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Best Ever Carrot Cake from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake from Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Carrot Cookies from The Freshman Cook
- Chocolate Carrot & Squash Muffins from What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Carrot Cake from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Iced Beet Cake from Beauty and the Beets
- Gluten Free Carrot Cake from Real Food Real Deals
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement