This fake-out take-out version of my favorite dish, Asian Style Beef Curry Stir-Fry, is made with lean beef, lots of vegetables, and a low fat curry flavored sauce.
Now, show of hands. Who has vowed to eat healthier this year? *raises hand*
No. We’re not vegetarian.
What’s a food blogger to do?
Eye of round is super lean and SO flavorful! It comes in steak and roast form. Three ounces of eye of round only has 4 grams of fat per serving. FOUR GRAMS! Because of this, you can’t tell me that all beef is fatty and that all beef has to have fat to be flavorful. With a delicious roast like eye of round, you can make a mean pot roast, delicious slow cooker stew, or marinate eye or round steaks and grill them.
Either way you slice it, beef doesn’t have to be fatty to be delicious.
For example, this Asian Style Curry Beef Stir-Fry! Just look at how colorful that is! All those vegetables and all that curry flavor; you just know this dish will blow your taste buds away. You WILL NOT wish you had ordered in. Save the paper containers, the little packets of sauces, and those splintered chop sticks! Make this fake out recipe for your family when they’re craving some Asian take-out. Serve this bad boy up with some hearty brown rice and you’ve got a HEALTHY fake out meal at home.
Not sure what cuts of beef are super lean for the new you?
Have no fear! Beef Checkoff has an awesome Interactive Butcher Counter that helps guide you through the leaner cuts of meat. Simply scroll through the types of meat your looking for, be it ground beef, steaks, roasts & ribs, or prepared cuts, and look for this symbol:
When you see that symbol, then you know it’s going to be a healthy cut of meat. If you’re not sure how to cook these leaner meats, first, click on one cut. Then you can see how deliciously healthy it is. Next, click on MORE INFO & RECIPES in the lower right. Finally, that will take you to some amazing recipes and methods for cooking that cut of beef. Take flank steak, for instance!
MMmmm, love me some flank steak fajitas!
And I Iove this recipe. This tastes AH-mazing! It’s oh so flavorful! Because of this, never again will I order that *coughOTHERcough* curry recipe from the take out again. Now, I just need to work on some healthier egg rolls, recreate the pu pu platter, and I’m golden! Anyone have a healthy crab rangoon recipe?
This fake-out take-out version of my favorite dish, Asian Style Curry Beef, is made with lean beef, lots of vegetables, and a low fat curry flavored sauce.
- 1 pound round steak
- 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon curry powder, divided
- 3 tablespoon cornstarch, divided
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup julienned carrot
- 1 cup thinly sliced bell pepper
- 6 cups brown rice
- Thinly slice the round steak and place in a mixing bowl with the soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of cornstarch, and 1 tablespoon curry powder. Allow the beef to marinate while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Combine the broth with the rest of the cornstarch and curry powder. Stir in the garam masala and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet coated with cooking spray over high heat. Sauté the garlic and ginger 30 seconds before adding the onions, celery, and carrots. Cook the vegetables 2 to 3 minutes before adding the bell peppers. Continue to cook until the vegetables are crisp tender. Remove to a large bowl and set aside.
- Spray the skillet with additional cooking spray as needed before adding the beef. Cook the beef, stirring constantly, until browned.
- Return the vegetables to the pan. Pour the broth mixture over the beef mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens.
- Divide the rice evenly between four plates and top with 1 ½ cups of beef mixture.
Beef Recipes to Live A Flavorful Life in 2016
Begins with Beef
- Multigrain Pilaf from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Tenderloin Tips with Brown Rice and Asparagus from Recipes Food and Cooking
- with Broccoli from Palatable Pastime
- Cheesesteak Sandwich from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Flavorful Asian Style Beef Curry Stir-Fry from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Korean BBQ Pepper Nachos from Flavor Mosaic
- Sauerkraut Brisket from Magnolia Days
- Sweet & Spicy Asian Beef Tacos from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Thai Beef with Vegetable Ribbons from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks