Bourbon Banana Bread with Pistachios has hints of bourbon through with the crunch of pistachio and sweet bananas. Bake and take because it’s too dangerous to keep at home!
Welcome to the spring edition of #FreakyFriday! I love participating in this event. I get to cook from delicious blogs like Life Currents! Debi is such an amazing blogger and I have enjoyed getting to cook from her blog.
If you’re not in the know on what #FreakyFriday is, it’s a group of bloggers that get together and cook from each other’s blogs and share their recipes. Of course, who you’re assigned to is a complete secret until posting day and we get to see who had whose blog.
That’s the fun part for me! I try to guess by the titles which one is mine. Sometimes I’m right! Then it’s always fun when the blog owner you cooked from finds your recipe. One round, I made a recipe that was posted so long ago that they completely forgot about it and didn’t realize it was their recipe. THAT was funny!
Debi at Life Currents is much like me. I’m not a huge fan of eating out a lot. It makes my tongue feel like a salt lick. Seriously. This week has killed me for eating not homemade food. Monday I had NO energy and needed to do blog stuff. Tuesday I had to work late so he got Popeyes. Last night was my last work night of the week so we ordered in. Tonight, I’m pushing for hot dogs. I don’t want to eat in again tonight.
I am trying, unsuccessfully I might add, at reducing our food waste. Debi at Life Currents tries to compost, recycle, and use as much of the food as possible. I think we all could try to do this better! I even saved the rinds from cheese to make a broth. Can I just say, I can’t wait to try that!
Life Currents isn’t just about food. There’s DIYs, crafts, organization tips. Debi’s blog has a little bit of everything! I hope you head over there and check it out.
Now, on to the food!! I had a short turn around on this assignment. But I couldn’t wait to dive into her blog! She has lemon sandwich cookies. I was oh so tempted to try these. I love me some lemon sandwich cookies. Then I saw her Cook’s Country Dakota bread. I am a total sucker for fresh baked bread and this one looks amazing.
I was looking for something to make for breakfast. A bake and take to work type of recipe I could whip up with what I had on hand. Like the baked French toast casserole! I had all those ingredients, but wasn’t sure how well that would go over at work. I almost made the savory spinach & parmesan muffins, but I was out of parm. How that happened I have no idea.
Then I saw the bourbon banana walnut bread and knew that was the recipe to make! I had two bananas just hanging out waiting to be cooked up. And of course, I had bourbon! I had honey bourbon to boot! I had walnuts, but swapped those out for pistachios. That’s the only change I made to her recipe. I’m a total nut for pistachios and just had some freshly chopped for another recipe.
Just look at that bread! You see why I say you need to bake and take because I could have eaten the whole loaf in one sitting. You can see how moist and delicious it is. There’s those banana flavor flecks throughout. You know what I’m talking about right? Those brown flecks?
Then you see ALL those pistachios!! They’re so good. They add a different flavor you’re not expecting from a banana bread. It’s usually pecans or walnuts. Nope! I threw in amazing pistachios to this fabulous recipe!!
I hope you head over to Life Currents and peruse her recipes, DIY, crafts; heck just check out her blog! Then be sure to follow her on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and StumbleUpon to see what she’s up to! AND make sure to see the other bloggers and what they cooked up for this #FreakyFriday!
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon fine grain salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 1/3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 very ripe bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pistachios
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Stir the flour together with the salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a mixing bowl with a whisk. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together with a hand mixer until combined and the mixture is light in texture.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring after each addition.
- Stir in the bananas until combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the egg mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Fold in the bourbon and the pistachios.
- Pour the batter into a 9 x 5 loaf pan coated with cooking spray or butter and bake at 350° F for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes mostly clean.
- Cool the bread in the pan 5 to 10 minutes before removing from the pan and cooling completely. If you can resist the urge to slice and slather with butter.
Adapted from a recipe from Life Currents.
#FreakyFriday Spring 2017
- An Affair from the Heart – Easy Homemade Refried Beans
- Take Two Tapas – Pineapple Hummus with Smoked Paprika
- LeMoine Family Kitchen – Sausage Hash Brown Nests
- Full Belly Sisters – Blueberry Dutchbaby
- Who Needs a Cape? – French Onion Salisbury Steak
- Plattertalk – Lemon Loaf Cake
- Hostess at Heart – Teriyaki Chicken Bowl
- Life Currents – Blue Cheese, Fig, and Caramelized Onion Palmiers
- Lisa’s Dinnertime Dish – Baked Lemon Glazed Donuts
- Bowl Me Over – Southwest Chicken Salad Bowl
- A Dish of Daily Life – Chicken Carbonara Pasta
- Aunt Bee’s Recipes – Summer Corn Salsa
- A Kitchen Hoors Adventures – Bourbon Banana Bread
- Seduction in the Kitchen – Honey Roasted Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie