This Broccoli & Cheddar Baked Quinoa is very herbaliscious! It’s delicious and is easily prepared for a #MeatlessMonday.
Today was the first day of change. This is the first recipe I made with my new changes in mind. For some reason, I’ve had broccoli cheddar on the brain and this Broccoli & Cheddar Baked Quinoa hit the spot!!
I’ve actually had broccoli mac n cheese on the brain, but cheese will not be a friend of mine for a minute. At least regular cheese. I can eat the fat free variety and even the reduced fat kind. I don’t’ think I’ve honestly had full fat cheese in a while. Um….wait, the smoked cheddar was full fat. And oh was it tasty! Mmmm.
Cheese is my kryptonite. I have no power around cheese. I just have to surround myself with lower fat cheeses or eat very small amounts of them. Like I said Saturday; no depriving! This is not about depriving myself of foods. It’s about replacing them with satisfying substitutions. I wonder how difficult it is to make cheese. Hmm…
S and I headed out this weekend in search of flea markets. Now, the flea markets that I’m used to are like large yard sales; there’s collectibles, antiques, crafts. Today they’re COMPLETELY different! My definition of a flea market does not include new stuff and doesn’t include clothes or shoes unless they’re vintage. Cell phones and cases, cowboy boots, sneakers; these are all things I don’t expect to see at a “flea market.”
Maybe I’m showing my age, but we went to two this weekend. Granted, we purchased a nice set of luggage (for impending trips to Colombia and who knows where else) and did manage to find some of the collectible glassware we have, but seriously. It’s new, cheap, or knock offs and not collectibles. And one had a food court! Seriously. A FOOD COURT! And TRUST me I would not…I repeat WOULD.NOT eat there if you paid me. It stank to high heaven in that one and I STILL can’t get that stench out of my head. Thankfully, I wasn’t hungry at that time.
Okay, this really didn’t photography well. Yet another blob on a plate, but don’t let that fool you. This is so yummy! Just look at all that golden, cheesey goodness! The broccoli and cheese flavor is throughout and the quinoa adds that filling fiber and protein. It’s a filling #MeatlessMonday meal that you’re going to love!
- 1 3/4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups frozen broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups minced shallots
- 1 1/2 cups fat free cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups egg substitute
- 1/4 cup nonfat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Bring the water or broth to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the quinoa. Bring to a boil and then simmer 20 minutes or until the quinoa has absorbed the water.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and sauté until tender. Add the broccoli and continue cooking until the broccoli is heated through. Place in a large mixing bowl to cool. Once the quinoa is cooked, add to the broccoli mixture and stir to combine.
- Combine 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and next 7 ingredients (egg substitute through cayenne pepper) in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Place the quinoa mixture in a casserole coated with cooking spray. Pour the egg mixture over top and gently stir to combine. Cover and bake at 400 for 30 minutes. Remove cover and sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake an additional 15 minutes or until the eggs are set and the cheese is bubbly and melted.