A delicious one skillet meal, this Cheesy Broccoli Chicken and Rice is hearty and full of flavor. Your picky eaters won’t mind eating broccoli in this dish!
Day two of hideous commuting continues.
Um…PSA peeps on 66. If you pay attention to what you’re doing when you’re driving you more than likely will not cause a wreck that blocks HALF THE FRICKING HIGHWAY! This will prevent the 44 additional minutes it will take the rest of us on the road to get home adding to an already not so pleasant commute.
This time, I caught it in time and had Waze direct us some back way and back roads I’ve NEVER – I repeat NEVER – been on in my entire time of living here. We saw some HUGE mansion/compounds that should have had their own zip code, and probably did. At some point S says to me, “If they can afford these houses you’d think they could fix the road.” My response? “They don’t want to because then more people would be on the road.”
On days like that it’s nice to have a quick and easy recipe like this one under your belt. It’s cooked in one pot with simple ingredients. I’d be willing to bet you have everything you need already. Chicken? Check. Rice and broccoli? Check. Chicken broth? Check. And then of course there’s cheese. Who doesn’t have cheese in their fridge? And finally there’s herbs and spices so I’m pretty sure you have all that, too.
Ready to whip up some dinner?
Just look at all that cheesy, chicken goodness. The rice soaks up all that delicious broth flavor. The broccoli? It packs a crunchy and healthy punch to the dish. The chicken is tender, juicy, and filling. The cheese adds all its creamy goodness to the whole dish. And all this can be on your table in about 30 minutes. I know! It’s amazing that this delicious is super quick AND is cooked in one pot. So, quick and one dish. Win win!!
Since I had some Parmesan shavings in the fridge, I thought I would dress it up with some Parm garnish. You could easily swap out the cheddar for Parmesan in the recipe if you’d like. OR you could garnish with some cheddar instead. But for me, there’s something fancy schmancy about shaved Parm garnishes that makes a dish taste just a little better; especially after a long day at work made longer by a hideously long drive to get home.
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 14 ounces frozen broccoli, thawed
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup rice
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken brown on all sides.
- Add the chicken broth and bring a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Stirring with a whisk, add the cream cheese until melted.
- Stir in the rice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked through and tender.
- Stir in the broccoli and cheddar until the cheese is melted. Serve with a side salad and some crusty bread.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 391Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 128mgSodium 703mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 3gSugar 3gProtein 45g
Raveable Rice Recipes
- Cheesy Broccoli Chicken and Rice from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Cheesy Rice and Lentils from Art of Natural Living
- Chicken and Leek Risotto from That Recipe
- Chicken Teriyaki Fried Rice from The Freshman Cook
- Creamy Wild Rice and Sausage Soup from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Easy Stuffed Pepper Casserole from Blogghetti
- Taco Zucchini Boats from Fresh April Flours
- Vaangi Bath / Eggplant Rice from Magical Ingredients