Step outside the sweet comfort zone with cocoa powder and try a grilling rub! Chocolate Grilling Rub is packed with rich flavor that would complement any grilled meat.
I have been slacking in the #Choctoberfest participation area this year. Work has absorbed almost every ounce of my energy in the last two months. However, I did receive the most amazing jar of cocoa powder from Rodelle that I have to tell you about.
Now, I have used Rodelle extracts in the past. Their vanilla is fabulous and has rich flavor. However, I’ve never used their cocoa powder. So, when I received that jar in the mail I was thrilled!!
I cracked it open the amazingly rich aroma of chocolate hit my nose. I was in love. It was completely intoxicating. This jar of cocoa powder is heaven. The color was dark and rich. It was finely ground and perfectly smooth.
I did something I’ve never done with a jar of cocoa powder. I actually stuck my finger in the powder and tasted it. Rodelle cocoa powder it not bitter like others. It truly is full of completely rich chocolate flavor.
Some would bake up a storm with this rich cocoa powder. However, I’ve planned two savory recipes with this powdered heaven. This is the first of the two. I will put a sweet one between them, though.
I’m always trying to think of interesting and different ways to use ingredients. While I know this is not all that different and unique, it’s still delicious and I’m sharing it. The rich Rodelle cocoa powder pairs perfectly well with the flavors in this barbecue style rub.
This rub has chili powder and cumin in it, of course. However, it’s not just any chili powder. I used ancho chili powder for it’s rich and slightly spicy flavor. I thought aout chipotle chili powder, but deicided on ancho chili powder instead. It’s has a deep chili flavor that pairs well with the cocoa powder.
Then it has smoked paprika for an interesting flavor with your grilled meats. It has garlic and onion powders and a little kick of cayenne. It also have some brown sugar for delicious caramelization on your meats.
Did you know that? Did you know that people put sugars in rub so it achieves amazing caramelization on the grill? It also adds flavor, of course, but for me that’s the only reason I put it on a savory rib.
Anyway, this rub has a little bit of oregano. My husband always give me a hard time when I put a little oregano in our chili. He thinks it will make the chili taste Italian. However, there is such a thing as Mexican oregano. There’s also Cuban oregano but that’s a horse of a different color.
So, there’s a hint of oregano for that richness it adds to every dish. It’s that hint of something that most will not recognize but definitely adds to the delicious flavor of this rub. You wouldn’t want to make it without oregano unless, of course, you don’t like oregano. Then, maybe thyme? But not a lot. Thyme can be overpowering. And you wouldn’t want anything to overpower the rich, dark, Rodelle cocoa powder.
I’m following Rodelle everywhere. I suggest you do the same. Their products are amazing and the recipes they have look fabutastic! Make sure to check out the rest if the recipes shared by the #Choctoberfest bloggers!
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 3 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Combine all ingredients in a quart jar. Shake to combine.
- Store in your pantry 6 months.
Nutrition InformationYield 50 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 8Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 86mgCarbohydrates 2gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 0g
I have no idea how many servings this actually makes.
- Cherry and Cocoa Pork Chops by By the Pounds
- Chocolate Almond Ricotta Cake by The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Chocolate Babka by Join Us, Pull up a Chair
- Chocolate Bakpie by When It Comes Time to be the Mother
- Chocolate Cherry Almond Chutney by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Chocolate Cherry Tiffin by Makes, Bakes and Décor
- Chocolate Chiffon Cake with Whipped Cream Frosting by The Unlikely Baker
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Pizookie by Chef Sarah Elizabeth
- Chocolate Cinnamon Cupcakes by Trampling Rose
- Chocolate Coconut Pecan 7-Layer Bars by The Spiffy Cookie
- Chocolate Crème Caramel by The Saucy Southerner
- Chocolate Flank Steak with Pineapple Salsa by Sarah Cooks the Books
- Chocolate Ganache Brownies by An Affair From the Heart
- Chocolate Granola by That Recipe
- Chocolate Lover’s Puppy Chow Snack Mix by Hardly A Goddess
- Chocolate Mint Avocado Pudding by Wendy Polisi
- Chocolate Pumpkin Bread by The PinterTest Kitchen
- Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecakes Bites by Crumbs in my Mustachio
- Chocolate Truffles by Get the Good Stuff
- Dairy-Free Chocolate Ice Cream by Cookaholic Wife
- Dark Chocolate Crinkle Cookies by Sarah’s Bake Studio
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread by Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
- Double Chocolate Pumpkin Energy Bites by The Pajama Chef
- Easy Fall Chocolate Tart by The Freshman Cook
- Fluffy Peanut Butter Nougat Chocolate Brownies by Faith, Hope, Luck & Love
- Fudgy Chocolate Gingerbread Halloween Cookies by Wildflour’s Cottage Kitchen
- Healthy Baked Chocolate Mint Doughnuts by 2 Cookin’ Mamas
- Homemade Chocolate Pudding by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Loaded Cowboy Cookies Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes by Restless Chipotle
- Mini Chocolate Bundt Cakes w/ PB Whipped Cream by Cooking with Carlee
- Mint Chocolate Mousse by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Moist Chocolate Cupcakes by House of Nash Eats
- No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bites by Chocolate Slopes
- PB&C Oatmeal Pancakes by Cooks & Books & Recipes
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Sauce Brownies by Long Distance Baking
- Perk Me Up Smoothie by Tampa Cake Girl
- Pineapple Glazed Brussels Sprouts by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pumpkin Cupcakes & Chocolate Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting by Jennifer Bakes
- Swedish Gooey Chocolate Cake by Full Belly Sisters
- Sweet Potato Brownies by Savory Moments
- The Secret Kiss Cookie by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Triple Chocolate Cheesecake by The Redhead Baker
- Triple Chocolate Monkey Bread by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Vegan Chocolate Beet Cake by Cook’s Hideout
- White Chocolate Raspberry Brownie Cups by The PinterTest Kitchen
I received product in participation of #Choctoberfest, however, all opinions are my own. This post may contain affiliate links in which a portion of the sales from these links will go to help keep A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures in the kitchen and cooking!