Tart dried cranberries and tangy orange juice are added to this delicious baked doughnut. Cranberry Orange Baked Doughnuts are perfect for a cool fall morning.
I don’t know about you, but I love the flavors of fall. This week’s #SundaySupper is all about the fabulous flavors of fall.
For some, that’s pumpkin and for others it’s apple. For me, it’s the flavors of orange and cranberries. Some would argue that those are more holidays than fall, but I honestly could eat cranberry orange baked goods year round.
While oranges may not be at their peak right now, cranberries are. From September through November, cranberries are being harvest all along the northeast. So, for those of you thought this was more a holiday food, it’s actually a fall food.
This is what these doughnuts would actually look like if we ate them when we woke up. For those that don’t know, our alarm clock goes off a oh-my-goodness early. That’s 4:10 for the rest of you. When you get up that early on the weekdays, it’s nice to sleep into 5:30 on the weekends.
Yes. I said 5:30 is sleeping in.
So, there’s barely any sunlight going on at that time of the morning. Hence the rather LOW light in the picture.
Now, that’s more like it! I love the color of these gems! You can see the ruby color of the cranberries just poking through the gorgeous orange there. I chopped the cranberries up nice and fine to be sure they were in every bite.
No, I couldn’t resist! I had to have a bite. And they were everything I hoped they would be. They’re moist and tender with the delicious orange and cranberry flavor throughout.
For the Donuts
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
For the Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine the first four ingredients (all-purpose flour through salt) in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the next six ingredients (applesauce through orange zest) in a small mixing bowl.
- Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in the cranberries carefully. Pour the ingredients into a large zip top plastic bag with a corner cut out.
- Lightly spray a doughnut pan with cooking spray. Pipe the dough into the pan and bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from heat and cool in the pan 5 minutes then remove from pan and cool an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
For the Donuts
For the Glaze
- Combine the powdered sugar, orange juice and orange zest in a small mixing bowl.
- Dip the donuts into the glaze and allow to set slightly before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 223Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 4mgSodium 252mgCarbohydrates 46gFiber 2gSugar 19gProtein 6g