Mushrooms, cheese, beer, and toast! What’s not to love about this meat free Cremini Rarebit?
Someone somewhere this week posted a Rarebit recipe. Something just clicked with that. It would make a PERFECT #MeatlessMonday meal! Some shrooms, cheese sauce, toast? #NOMZ! I have no idea why I didn’t think of it sooner.
The only thing S said about this, is he wouldn’t use Guinness again. It was a bit overpowering for this recipe. Other than that, it was delicious!
I HAVE NOT wanted to be in the kitchen this week. I mean, it’s been the hottest week so far this Summer. Have I expressed my loathing of Summer? No? Well, yes, I LOATHE Summer. Abhor it! BEYOND hatred!! It’s hot. There’s a crapton of bugs. There’s humidity. *I* am totally miserable in Summer.
My cracker white skin just can’t take the heat. I’m a cold weather person. The colder the better for me. Now, don’t get me wrong. I don’t like to BE cold, I just prefer cold weather. My genes are better suited to Winter than Summer. I’d rather bundle up in 7 layers of warmth than lounge in one layer in summer. And a skimpy layer at that. Which just IS NOT a pretty sight. LOL
Okay. I am out of words that do not involve griping about work…so I’ll leave ya with a few pics:
Heat a skillet coated with cooking spray on medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and saute 5 to 7 minutes or until browned and juices have released. Keep warm.
Combine beer, milk and flour in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat. Add cheese and stir until melted.
Toast bread and top with sauteed mushrooms and cheese sauce.
Sorry so short today peeps. I just am out of words today.
- 3 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 12 ounces beer
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup fat free cheddar cheese
- 8 slices French bread, sliced
- Heat a skillet coated with cooking spray on medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and sauté 5 to 7 minutes or until browned and juices have released. Keep warm.
- Combine beer, milk and flour in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Toast bread and top with sautéed mushrooms and cheese sauce.