This Buffalo Chicken Dip has a healthy twist to it! It has cottage cheese in it! That’s right, I added some calcium rich cottage cheese to my Healthier Buffalo Chicken Dip to make cheesy good.
Yes, dear readers, it’s that time again! It’s time for #FreakyFriday! “What’s #FreakyFriday” you ask? Well, it’s hosted by Michaela from An Affair of the Heart. There are 10 bloggers participating in the event this month. If you are new to my blog, welcome! Here’s the 411 on #FreakyFriday.
Each blogger who signs up is assigned a blog from another participant. Like me, for instance. I was assigned Full Belly Sisters. Once you receive your assigned blog, you get to go through their recipes and pick something you want to cook. I had two contenders I was thinking of making, but this Healthier Buffalo Chicken Dip won out.
You see, when we got home from Maui I had a freak leg issue. I don’t even know what happened. I just couldn’t put weight on my right leg for some reason and it felt like I’d run a marathon. Which, of course, I hadn’t. Have you seen me? Anyway, being sick or injured always makes me want some comfort food. And that’s when I decided on the Healthier Buffalo Chicken Dip.
I’ve been assigned Full Belly Sisters a couple of times. Their blog is so packed with healthy and hearty recipes. Their smoothies look so filling and perfect for breakfast or a snack. I always drool over their delicious, Flourless Chocolate Almond Cake, but I’d have to bake and take because I know the hubs wouldn’t like it. Or he’d eat one piece and that’s it.
I contemplated their Spinach Artichoke Puff Pastry Galette. It just looks like a perfectly light lunch or dinner with a salad. Then, since I have this blue brie in the fridge, I was going to make these Stuffed Endive with Blue Cheese, Pecans and Cranberries, but I couldn’t find endive. How does that happen? Is it not in season or something? I should check on that.
Oh, and yes I did say blue brie. It’s like brie and blue cheese had a baby and it’s this creamy, salty, sharp delicious brie that tastes like blue cheese. if you haven’t tried it, I would suggest you find some. If you like blue cheese, you’ll probably like this one, too. If you like brie, you’ll probably like it. Heck, if you like cheese you’re probably like it. I’ve picked some up and Lidl and Aldi.
Anyway, this healthier Buffalo chicken dip is creamy and delicious. It has the perfect combination of flavors you’re looking for. The Buffalo sauce is not overpowering. There’s plenty of chicken. And there’s the added creaminess of the cottage cheese. While I know this is an unusual addition to a Buffalo chicken dip, but hear me out.
Now, most Buffalo chicken dip is made with cream cheese, ranch or blue cheese dressing, chicken, hot sauce, Colby Jack or cheddar cheese, and blue cheese crumbled on top. Right? Full Belly Sisters used Greek yogurt in their Buffalo chicken dip instead of the dressing. Which is a delicious and healthy ingredient to add to the chicken dip instead of that sodium and fat laden dressing.
But I’m team cottage cheese.
I’ve used cottage cheese to replace some of the cream cheese and sour cream or yogurt in my cheesecakes. Yes. I know what you’re thinking. I thought the same thing, too, at first. But, then I tried it. And it’s a really delicious and rich ingredient to use in place of yogurt, cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, etc. Once you blend the curds into a smooth and creamy sauce for lack of a butter word you will realize the true potential that is cottage cheese.
Now, I have to confess something to y’all. I don’t like this dip hot so I put all the ingredients together and typically do not heat it up in the oven. I just dip my veggies, chips, or baguette slices right in there (or a spoon). Don’t get me wrong! It’s delicious all heated up and the blue cheese and sharp cheddar get all melty delicious. If you haven’t tried it, just taste it before it goes into the oven and then again when it comes out of the oven and you be the judge.
I hope you will join me in visiting the other #FreakyFriday participants today! Especially Full Belly Sisters. Their blog has delicious recipes, great tips about being a healthy mom during and after pregnancy, and other great lifestyle information. Also, please follow Full Belly Sisters on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram to see what they’ve been up to!
Have you used cottage cheese in place of yogurt or sour cream before?
- 9 ounces shredded chicken breast
- 8 oz. Neufchatel cheese
- 1/3 cup Buffalo sauce
- 3/4 cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a processor combine the Neufchatel cheese, Buffalo sauce, and cottage cheese. Process until smooth. Add the chicken and pulse a few times to combine.
- Coat a shallow baking dish with cooking spray and spoon the dip mixture into the dish.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until the mixture is heated through. Stir, top with shredded sharp cheddar, and bake for a few minutes until the cheese is melted and gooey.
- Garnish with chopped scallions. Serve hot with celery, carrots, and crackers or chips.
- A Dish of Daily Life – Cucumber Salsa
- An Affair from the Heart – Arancini (Three Cheese Fried Risotto Balls)
- A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures – Healthier Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Bacon Fatte – Spiced Bakery Style Ginger Pear Muffins
- Bowl Me Over – Beef Tips and Gravy
- The Devilish Dish – Chocolate Covered Snickers Strawberries
- Full Belly Sisters – Easy Crockpot Cesar Chicken
- LeMoine Family Kitchen – Frittata Ranchera Black Bean Salad
- Life Currents – Garlic Sesame Noodles
- Lisa’s Dinnertime Dish – Low Carb Cheeseburger Meatloaf
- Mildly Meandering – Slow Cooker Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Plattertalk – Whole Wheat Irish Soda Bread
- Seduction in the Kitchen – Reuben Meatball Casserole
- Take Two Tapas – BLT Bacon Cups with Avocado
- The Foodie Affair – Pineapple Bread Pudding
- West Via Midwest – Spicy Smoke Sauced Shrimp
- Who Needs a Cape? – Cheez-It Fiesta Baked Chicken