Italian sausage and ground pork come together in this Italian Sausage Parmesan Burger. It’s packed with Italian flavors, topped with cheese, and sits on top of spaghetti and Texas toast garlic bread.
This epic burger is part of a fan-frickin-tastic month-long event hosted by Girl Carnivore, but opinions are always my own!
If y’all didn’t know it’s #BurgerMonth. That’s a whole month of delicious burger goodness. I’ve participated in this event for 3 years now. I look forward to it every year. Not that I need an excuse to make an off the wall burger, but it sure does help to have excuses like this event for killer epic burgers
I didn’t think this was going to be an epic burger, but then I decided to put these Italian sausage Parmesan burgers on Texas toast garlic bread. And then I had some leftover spaghetti in sauce that I decided to put on the burger. The next thing I knew, this was an epic burger.
I mean just look at that thing!!
I just realized I started several sentences already with I didn’t, but I really didn’t want to use all Italian sausage in this burger. Maybe it is just me, but lately Italian sausage seems overly salty to me. Does it seem that way to you? That’s why I chose to use some Italian sausage and some ground pork.
Initially this was going to be an Italian sausage burger with peppers and onions, but that seemed too easy. Since my default bun is the ciabatta buns I get at the store, I thought about using something different for a bun.
Then it hit me, because I was looking at some leftover Texas garlic bread toast.
Why not use those as the bun? I mean, not the leftover ones, but freshly baked ones. It makes for the most delicious vessel to chow down on this Italian sausage Parmesan burger.
Of course, you have to have Parmesan cheese on these burgers, but that’s not as creamy and melty as you want on your burger. That’s why I added the Provolone cheese on these burgers. To make them extra cheesy and delicious.
And you can’t have Italian sausage without peppers and onions in my head. Maybe it’s just me, but that’s how it goes. Italian sausage with peppers and onions just rolls off the tongue so well. And they taste to good together! The spicy sausage with the sweet peppers and onions. Oh yeah! Who’s drooling?
Did I mention 2 kinds of cheese?
But this burger doesn’t stop at just the sausage with peppers and onions and two kinds of cheese. Oh yeah, and the Texas garlic toast buns. There’s some pizza sauce stirred in with the peppers and onions. Pizza sauce because spaghetti sauce is just a little too thin and drips off the burgers. The pizza sauce has a little staying power.
Finally, there’s the little nest of leftover spaghetti with marinara under the burger. Yes. Spaghetti and sauce on a burger. That’s what sets this burger over the top! As if the Texas garlic toast wasn’t enough carbs, let’s pile on a little more with some spaghetti!
If you don’t have any leftover, then whip up a small batch combine with more of the pizza sauce for that delicious cushion of pasta goodness under the burger.
Yup! There it is in all its delicious goodness. Stacked with layers of flavor that will make your mouth oh so happy! And yes, it’s edible, but you have to take your time and open wide! Or, you can cop out and use a fork and knife. It’s totally up to you because now it’s your burger to eat.
And you will totally want to eat this. We devoured ours.
They were so good! All that sausage goodness with cheese, peppers, onions, sauce, and skeds! All wrapped up in some thick and crispy Texas garlic toast. I cannot wait to have these again!
Yes the burger looks a little weird. I didn’t overmix the two meats so you can see how the sausage and ground pork grilled up in these burgers. If you overmix, they’re just dense and not all that delicious. So, don’t overmix the meat. I cannot stress that enough.
You can see the buttery garlic toast topping. I totally love that Texas garlic toast as the bun for these Italian Sausage Parmesan Burgers. That buttery garlicy goodness is the final straw that broke my will power. I totally ate two of these. #noshame.
Make sure you check out the giveaway! There are 4 excellent prize packages. One for each week of #BurgerMOnth. SO, be sure to come back next week and enter again!
Italian sausage and ground pork come together in this Italian Sausage Parmesan Burger. It's packed with Italian flavors, topped with cheese, and sits on top of spaghetti and Texas toast garlic bread.
For the burgers:
- 12 ounces sweet Italian sausage (about 3 links)
- 10 ounces ground pork
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch crushed red pepper
- 4 slices Provolone cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
For the pepper and onion topping:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups sliced onion
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
Remaining burger ingredients
- 8 slices of frozen Texas toast garlic bread slices
- 2 cups leftover spaghetti with sauce, reheated
For the burgers:
- Preheat grill to medium-high to high (between 450 and 500 F).
- Slice open the casings on the sausage and remove the meat from the casing (you can skip this step if you bought sausage not in casings).
- Place the ground sausage in a mixing with the ground pork and next 5 ingredients (Italian seasoning through crushed red pepper).
- Combine the burger mixture making sure that it's mixed thoroughly but not too much. You still want to see some bits of sausage mixed in with the pork. Over mixing the meat can result in dense burgers.
- Form 4 patties and grill on for 3 to 4 minutes. Rotate the burgers 45 degrees for those classic grill marks and cook an additional 3 to 4 to 4 minutes.
- Turn the burgers over and cook 3 to 4 minutes, rotate 45 degrees, and cook another 3 to 4 minutes. Continue to cook until your burgers reach 145 F.
- Top each burger with 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and cook until the cheese begins to melt.
- Remove the burgers from the grill, top with the Provolone cheese, and tent with foil, and allow to rest.
For the peppers and onion topping:
- While the burgers are cooking, heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Saute the peppers and onions until tender and the onions begin to caramelize.
- Stir in the pizza sauce and keep warm.
For the Texas toast garlic bread and burger assembly:
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Cook the Texas toast garlic bread per the package instructions. (Typically this is 8 minutes per side so start them before the burgers)
- Place one piece of Texas toast garlic bread on each of 4 plates.
- Top with 1/2 cup of the leftover spaghetti and sauce, a burger, some of the pepper and onion mixture, then top with another piece of garlic toast.
- Grab a bib and chow down!
Amount Per Serving Calories 1113Total Fat 59gSaturated Fat 23gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 31gCholesterol 133mgSodium 2223mgCarbohydrates 84gFiber 7gSugar 12gProtein 61g
Meh. It's plausible.
Week 2 #BurgerMonth Recipes
- Smoky BBQ Cheddar Burger by Palatable Pastime
- Bourbon, Maple, and Bacon Burger by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Italian Sausage Parmesan Burger on Texas Toast by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chorizo and Beef Burger with Bourbon BBQ Sauce, Bacon, Slaw, and Onion Straws by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Stuffed Pizza Burger by Art of Natural Living