You’d be surprised at how rich and delicious this Low Fat Blackberry Cheesecake is. It has all the creamy texture of a New York style cheesecake, but with a hint of tangy blackberry flavor and almost none of the fat.
I don’t know why I’ve been dying to make a blackberry cheesecake. I just have. These ideas just come up and they just sit there until I either make them, or get distracted by new shinies. Oooh.. Shinies!
See what I mean.
But something about the sweet and tart blackberries that lend themselves to be perfect for a cheesecake made me just want to get in the kitchen and whip one up. Yes. It’s that easy. You just whip one up! I used my food processor.
Oh! Did I mention that this baby is pretty low in fat? So, yeah. There’s that, too. Actually, all my cheesecakes are pretty low in fat. And they’re pretty tasty, too! They’re not dry at all. They are super moist and taste just as rich. Honestly!
Just look at that sheen right there! You know that’s going to be nice and moist. And get a load of that color! It’s full of delicious blackberry flavor. You could make a berry coulis to serve on top or just top it with some whipped cream and a few berries like I did here. OR you could simply macerate some with some sugar and serve that on top. Either way you top it, this cheesecake is light, luscious, and delicious.
Yes, mine did get a little brown around the edges. I think I had my racks set too close to the top of the oven. Make sure your racks are in the center and that the cheesecake is in the center of the rack. It’s important to keep the heat even for cheesecake cooking.
That’s why some put it in a water bath to cook it. I don’t do that. I’ve only done that once and it didn’t turn out any differently than not putting it in the water bath. Now, the only dessert I put in a water bath is the steamed pudding I make for Christmas.
Oh and yes, I usually do point out what’s wrong with my pictures.
Yes it’s THAT creamy and that delicious. I hope you try it it. You will be pleasantly surprised!
You'd be surprised at how rich and delicious this Low Fat Blackberry Cheesecake is. It has all the creamy texture of a New York style cheesecake, but with a hint of tangy blackberry flavor and almost none of the fat.
- 1 1/2 cups low fat graham cracker crumbs
- 4 tablespoons butter (I used Parkay butter spray)
- 16 ounces fat free cottage cheese
- 16 ounces nonfat plain yogurt
- 16 ounces fat free cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1/2 cup seedless blackberry preserves
- 1/2 cup blood orange juice
- Combine the cookie crumbs and melted margarine until a coarse meal forms. Wrap the bottom of an 8 inch spring form baking pan in aluminum foil and press cookie crumb mixture into bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides. Refrigerate until the filling is complete.
- Put the yogurt in a strainer lined with cheesecloth, coffee filters, or paper towels and allow to drain for 1 hour. Drain the cottage cheese in the same manner for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Place the blackberries, preserves, and orange juice in a small saucepan and simmer on low until the cottage cheese and yogurt is drained. Remove from heat and, using a fine meshed sieve, strain the seeds making sure to use a spatula to press the pulp through the sieve.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine both in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Cream the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add 1/3 of the cottage cheese mixture to the cream cheese and beat until completely incorporated and smooth. Add the remaining cottage cheese mixture and process until completely smooth. Add the egg substitute and process until smooth.
- Pour in the blackberry mixture and process until combined and smooth.
- Pour the filling into the springform pan being careful not to disturb the crust. Bake for 30 minutes. Turn and bake an additional 20 - 30 minutes or until barely set in the center.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Carefully wrap the springform pan in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 187Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 18mgSodium 514mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 2gSugar 11gProtein 13g