Inspired by the Shake Shack mushroom burger, this Mozzarella Stuffed Mushroom Burger is moist, delicious, and stuffed with the perfect amount of cheese.
This epic burger is part of a fan-frickin-tastic month long event hosted by Girl Carnivore, but opinions are always my own!
It’s #BURGERMONTH! I have been waiting for this month since last year was over. And this year I’m aiming for a burger every week again. It’s a challenge, but I am up for it! Are you? This year some of them are not as over the top as last year, but I’m going out with a bang at the end of the month. You’ll just have to wait to see.
I wanna say that Girl Carnivore has been hosting this event for going on 6 years now? I think it started in 2014. At least that’s as far back as I can find. I have been participating for the last 3 years. At least I think that’s how long I’ve participated. I could be wrong. Maybe it’s been 2 years. Maybe I should check? Yes! This is year three for me.
I think last year was the most fun. I had some off the charts burgers to share. And they were oh so delicious! My fave was the corned beef hash burger. The corned beef was IN the burger mix. I might do something similar this year with one of my burgers; putting something unusual in the burger mix. Just have to see how one recipe plays out.
This burger is inspired by Shake Shack.
Now, I have never been to Shake Shack. “So how do you know about their Mozzarella mushroom burger?” you ask? Well, I participated in an outing at work where we had lunch with some new team members and then checked out a few exhibits at a portrait. I will try NOT to go into what ensued after lunch.
Since I’m a planner and usually bring my lunch, I did just that. I brough a sandwich and some chips because I knew there wouldn’t be a microwave for me to heat anything up. My manager and a few others on the team? Well, they weren’t as planny as me. One brought something to heat up and the others either forgot or just decided to purchase lunch anyway.
Across the street and down a little ways from the portrait gallery is a Shake Shack. A few of the team members rounded up orders, placed them, then went to pick them up before lunch. Since my manager is pescatarian, she ordered their mushroom burger which is stuffed with cheese. Like a TON of cheese! I think she pulled at least 4 ounces of cheese out of the burger and there was still plenty of cheese in the burger.
But that’s not what caught my attention. What caught my attention was the simple thought of a Mozzarella stuffed mushroom burger. I am only assuming the cheese was Mozzarella but I have no idea. I could probably check out their website just to be sure, but it doesn’t really matter.
What matters is how delicious this Mozzarella Stuffed Mushroom Burger tastes!
The mushrooms add rich earthiness that pairs well with the steak seasoning. They also add some moisture that keeps the burgers from drying out. Since I use a low fat content ground beef, I always make sure there’s something in there to keep the burgers from turning into hockey pucks.
Yes, that means you can use ground pork, turkey, or even chicken with this recipe. They will still be moist and delicious from all those minced mushrooms in the mix. And with the steak seasoning, it takes you to your favorite steakhouse and the aromas and flavors they have.
Don’t you love how I give you options with some of my recipes?
There’s even the option to chose whatever cheese you want. Usually, I’m a mushroom Swiss person. So, feel free to use Swiss, Jarlsberg, or even Gruyere in there. However, if Swiss isn’t your cup of tea, then try some Cheddar or even blue cheese! Granted blue cheese doesn’t melt like other cheese so they’re not going to be so gooey in the middle.
I’m going to ask you to ignore that huge mayo blob there. That’s the thing with ciabatta bread; it has large holes in it. And one of those large holes ate up a bunch of mayonnaise. Because, well, I can’t eat a burger without some sauce on it; mayo, mustard, aoli, etc. It’s just another layer of flavor to make your burger that much more awesomely delicious.
Now, can we talk about that cheese oozing out of the middle the burger?
All that Mozzarella goodness just fills the burger perfectly. And as if that’s not enough, I topped them with slices of Mozzarella cheese when they came off the grill. Because, well, you can’t have too much cheese on a burger. At least that’s my opinion. I’m sure I’m not the only one with that thought process.
And, as if that wasn’t enough!
I sautéed some mushrooms to put on top of the burger. I always let the mushrooms get extra crispy on the edges. It adds so much flavor when they have a nice caramelization on there. That brings out the earthy flavor of the mushrooms even more.
And of course, I had to put some lettuce and tomato on my burger. Not so much with the onion. They don’t agree with me the older I get. I could have added onions to the mushrooms when they were cooking, but I really did want this burger to be all about the mushrooms and the Mozzarella.
- 4 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped mushrooms (Your choice of mushrooms. I used white buttons.)
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (see above)
- 4 hamburger buns
- 3 ounces sliced Mozzarella cheese (4 slices)
- Other toppings of choice (tomatoes, onions, pickles, etc.)
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Combine the ground beef with the finely chopped mushrooms, steak seasoning, 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Be careful not to overmix the ground beef.
- Using a ball of meat slightly larger than a golf ball, form a patty and place it on a plate. Repeat with remaining ground beef until you have 8 thin patties.
- Hold one of the patties in your hand and place half the shredded Mozzarella cheese in the center. Top with another patty and press the edges to seal the two patties together. Shape the patties into a more burger style shape (You’ll see what I mean when you press the two pieces together.).
- Place the burger back on the plate and repeat with the remaining patties and shredded Mozzarella cheese.
- Grill the burgers 2 minutes. Rotate the burgers 45 degrees (for those epic grill marks) and grill another 2 minutes. Flip the burgers over and repeat.
- Top the burgers with cheese and cook 1 more minute before putting them on a clean plate. Over with foil and allow them to rest 5 minutes.
- While the burgers are cooking, heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Melt the butter and add the olive oil. Sauté the mushrooms until golden brown. Season with the remaining garlic salt and black pepper.
- After the burgers have rest, place them on a bun and top with the sautéed mushrooms and your toppings of choice.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 1442Total Fat 74gSaturated Fat 31gTrans Fat 2gUnsaturated Fat 33gCholesterol 451mgSodium 2213mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 4gSugar 8gProtein 152g
Yeah, I don't buy that. Eat at your own risk.
Week 1 #BurgerMonth Recipes
- Stuffed Jalapeño Popper Burger by Our Good Life
- Mozzarella Stuffed Mushroom Burger by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Black Garlic Mushroom Burger by Chiles and Smoke
- Cabernet Burger by Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine
- Double Mushroom Burger by Sumptuous Spoonfuls
- Ahi Burgers Topped with Artichoke Pesto by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Buffalo Chicken Burger by Grillax: Fire. Food. Fun.
- Salt and Pepper Burger with Poblano Cheese Sauce by Sarah’s Cucina Bella
- Chipotle Guacamole Burger by The Redhead Baker
- Grilled Onion Burgers by Out Grilling
- Blueberry Cinnamon Roll Turkey Burger by The Spiffy Cookie
- Jucy Lucy Burger by Palatable Pastime
- Cheeseburger Sliders by Miss in the Kitchen
- Taco Burger by Real Life With Dad
- Polish Kielbasa and Pierogi Burger by “Savoring Midlife”
- Pork Belly Plantain Burger by Chiles and Smoke
- Jack Daniels Glazed Burger by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Adobo Shrimp Burger by Chiles and Smoke
- The Poseidon Adventure Burger by Wildflour’s Cottage Kitchen
? Girl Carnivore ? A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures ?A Day in the Life on the Farm ? A Merry Recipe ? An Affair from the Heart ?Art of Natural Living ? Caroline’s Cooking ?Chef Justin Grimm ?Chiles and Smoke ? City Living Boston ?Comfortably Domestic ?Culinary Adventures with Camilla ?Daily Dish Recipes ? Everyday Eileen ? For the Love of Food ?Grillax: Fire. Food. Fun. ? Grilling Montana ? Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks ? Jolene’s Recipe Journal ? Karen’s Kitchen Stories ? Kate’s Recipe Box ?Kudos Kitchen by Renee ?Life Currents ? Life of a Ginger ?Making Miracles ?Man Meat BBQ ? Miss in the KItchen ?Off the Eaten Path ?Our Good Life ? Palatable Pastime ? Pastry Chef Online ? Real Life With Dad ?Renee Nicole’s Kitchen – Everyday Gourmet ? Sarah’s Cucina Bella ?Savoring Midlife ? Simple and Savory ? Spoonabilities ? Sumptuous Spoonfuls ? Swirls of Flavor ? The Redhead Baker ? The Spiffy Cookie ?This is How I Cook ? Thyme for Cocktails ?What’s Cooking Italian Style Cuisine ? Wildflour’s Cottage Kitchen ?Wile E. BBQ ? Wok & Skillet ?