Mulled Apple Shrub Mule reminds me of crisp fall morning, warm afternoons, and cooling nights. The shrub makes this mule crisp and delicious with a ginger bourbon kick.
It’s #AppleWeek!! I’m so excited! It’s going to be AWESOME!! No, seriously. There’s 65 recipes for drinks and appetizers to mains and desserts! There’s even crafts! Therefore, you’re not going to want to miss this event. No to mention the 20 talented bloggers that are participating, like me!
Speaking of which, I want to give a huge shout out to Cooking with Carlee and Family Around the Table. Ellen and Carlee are the ones that brought us all together for this event. Ellen kept us organized and Carlee set up the code. Make sure you show them some love this week. It’s not an easy task fo sho!
So, for whatever reason, I chose to make a cocktail. I know. I’m not really a cocktail maker? I mean, the extent of my beverage creations is a caipirinha colada and some smoothies and teas. Yeah. Exciting. I know. But, for whatever reason #appleweek has me stepping outside the box a little. I said a little. Not a lot. Cut me some slack since I’ve been sick the past two weeks AND it’s fiscal year close. It’s like the perfect storm.
If you’re like me, you get a ton of emails and you have a ton of blogs you follow. A few months ago either in an email or a blog, I read about the shrub. Not, it’s not a bush you plant in your front yard. The shrub is simply a vinegar infusion or fruits, vegetables, herbs, spices, whatever that you mix with your favorite alcohol or liquor. I also read about switchels, but I’m not making one of those right now.
Consequently, when I signed up to do #appleweek, I decided I was going to make a shrub. But not just any shrub. I wanted to make a spice infused, mulled apple shrub. And I did. And it’s pretty darned good, if I say so myself.
Of course, the hubs hates all things that involve vinegar short of sweet pickle relish, mustard, and dressings. Oh, and some coleslaws. So, I knew, going into this, that it would definitely be something only I would be drinking casa da AKHA. And I’m okay with that. But this shrub, is AWESOME!
It reminds me of fall with the crisp flavor of the apples and vinegar. Then you taste the delicious mulled spiced like you would get with a mulled apple cider. Oh yeah. And then there’s the little warm of a sunny day that you feel with the bourbon and the ginger. And then it just warms your tummy and your soul with all the flavors mixed together into one.
I think I need to make another one. Because they’re so good.
I know it sounds weird to put vinger in a cocktail, but trust me on this one. It’s so interesting and different, that it’s just delicious. It’s bright and flavorful and just packed with fall apple flavor that you’re going to want to keep a jar of this hanging out in your fridge.
Yup. See that golden color? It tastes just like you think it’s going to. I love the mix of bourbon with the shrub, limoncello, and the sparkling water. Why the limoncello? Because It just adds that rounded sweetness and tart and plays off the vinegar and sugar in the shrub. It’s not a dominant flavor but in the background just bring the whole family together into the glass.
So, I made one and then headed upstairs to finish up some laundry. I came down and the hubs said, “I don’t like that.” I didn’t think you would because it’s made with vinegar! So, I drank a few cocktails worth of this shrub last night for testing purposes, of course. I’ve decided that I love this shrub and could mix it so many different ways with many different liquors and mixers. So, don’t limit yourself to my mule. Just make this shrub and start creating your own cocktails!
Have you made your own shrub or switchel or even a bitters?
For Mulled Apple Shrub:
For the Mulled Apple Shrub:
For the Mule:
Monday: Appetizers and Drinks
- Apple Brie Roll Up by Family Around the Table
- Apple Cider Margaritas by A Palatable Pastime
- Apple Cheddar Pinwheels by Cooking with Carlee
- Apple Pie Martini by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Apple Pie Smoothie by Feeding Big
- Caramel Apple Float by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Caramel Apple Martini by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Caramel Appletini by The Speckled Palate
- Crockpot Apple Sauce by I Say Nomato
- Hot and Boozy Caramel Apple Cider by Love My Messy Messy Mess
- Hot Fireball Apple Cider by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mulled Apple Shrub Mule by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Red Hot Apple Cider by New South Charm
- Roasted Apple and Acorn Squash Soup by Caroline’s Cooking
- Slow Cooker Caramel Apple Cider by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Tuesday: Main Dishes and Sides
- Apple Cheddar Grilled Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Apple Cider Bread by I Say Nomato
- Apple-Glazed Pork Chops with Raisins by Love My Messy Messy Mess
- Chicken Salad with Apples and Cranberries by Feeding Big
- Chopped Apple Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Fall Apples Become Yummy Applesauce for the Year by Crafty Mama in ME
- Harvest Brats with Apple Slaw by Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
- Sausage Stuffed Apples by A Palatable Pastime
- Sage Pork Chops with Apple Pan Gravy by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Scalloped Apples Casserole by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Slow Cooker Apple Cider Pulled Pork by Cooking with Carlee
- Southern Style Fried Apples by New South Charm
Wednesday: Sweet Treats
- Apple and Nut Drop Cookies by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Apple Brown Betty by Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
- Apple Cider Caramel Sauce by Cooking with Carlee
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal by Feeding Big
- Apple Dumplings by A Palatable Pastime
- Apple Oatmeal Cookies by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Apple Pie & Cinnamon Things by Crafty Mama in ME
- Apple Pie in a Jar by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Apple Swirl Buns by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Baked Apples with Chocolate and Caramel by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Brown Butter Apples by Cricket’s Confections
- Mini Apple Pie with Cheddar Crust by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Nana’s Apple Pie by The Crumby Cupcake
- Sparkling Cider Pound Cake by Family Around the Table
Thursday: Apple Projects
- Apple Bacon Jam by Caroline’s Cooking
- Apple Cinnamon Pancake Mix by A Palatable Pastime
- Apple Cinnamon Stovetop Potpourri by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Apple Suncatchers by Crafty Mama in ME
- Caramel Apple in a Jar by Family Around the Table
- Homemade Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Packets by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Knit Apple Hat by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Friday: Anything Apple Goes
- 1 Minute Caramel Apple Dip by Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
- Apple Brown Betty by A Palatable Pastime
- Apple Bundt Cake with Cider Caramel by Cooking with Carlee
- Apple Cinnamon Shortcakes by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Apple Crisp Shortbread Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Fritters by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Apple Pie Skillet by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Caramelized Apple and Bacon Jam Crostini by Caroline’s Cooking
- Creamy Peanut Butter Apple Dip by New South Charm
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Apple and Peppered Bacon by Feeding Big
- Individual Apple Crisp by Family Around the Table
- Smoky Apple Pulled Pork by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Slow Cooker Apple Butter by The Crumby Cupcake