Several months ago, I received a freebie package of black garlic from @MySpiceSage. It’s been sitting in my pantry and well, moved with us. For some reason, it has been on my radar to use this week. These Mushroom Stuffed Pork Chops with Black Garlic were a perfect reason to use them!!
BUT, today was one of those days where I had planned on getting more done than I did. I hate those days. For some reason, I was totally UN-inspired to make the menu this week. I think I need to jot these ideas down in my phone as I have them. I know I thought of a few interesting dishes, but just can’t remember what they were.
My brain is a sieve.
I planned on at least two SRS recipes and at least 2 chocolate ones. Yeah…no. I HAVE to get tequila tomorrow for one recipe and will probably stop at the store for ingredients for another. There was a total brain fart on that one. *note to self stick ice cream tub in freezer*
I have one SRS done. No chocolate ones. BUT will have one tequila one done as soon as I get the tequila. LOL. I spent most of the day prepping cookies. More on that later.
Since I didn’t leave the house until 10 I didn’t get home until 12. Half the day is shot as far as I’m concerned. There was SO much more I wanted to do. Slicing my finger was not one of them. Once that happened it was ALL downhill. Laundry still in the dryer. Dinner was slacker-ish at best. Tasty, but just not planned the way I had it in my mind. And since I still wasn’t able to COOK the cookies, I didn’t want to screw with the oven temp and throw the taters in there. Those will just have to wait until next weekend I guess.
I did not sit down for more than an 20 minutes after I got home. I’m tired. Thankfully it’s almost bed time. Actually, S is already sawing logs next to me and well Missy? She sleeps anywhere any time. She’s not particular.
I did some house cleaning on the blog here. I was not happy with how things were taking up so much room! So, I thought I’d make them smaller to fit more in there! What do y’all think? I think it looks cleaner.
I also added my craptastic Facebook page. I’m just not happy with it….we’ll see how it goes. I want to brand it, but it’s not working for some reason. It’s just irritating me. BUT it’s out there. Any words of wisdom or suggestions appreciated.
I did manage to cook a few things this week. I seriously had such high hopes, but just let myself down which sucks even more. The things I did cook are TAST-Y! Here’s one of them! 😉
@BlackGarlic is produced by fermentation, a technique that has been around for many thousands of years. It looks and smells a bit like black licorice, but it doesn’t taste like it. It’s like molasses, and I want to say sake or maybe miso? It’s different, to say the least. I received mine free from @MySpiceSage as a freebie. It was worth it to try out this new ingredient. Well, new to me. Anyway, here’s what it looks like OUT of the wrapper.
They are UBER sticky!! Don’t say I didn’t warn ya!
Sauce 1/2 cup of chopped onion a skillet over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add cremini, shiitake, and button mushrooms along with the chopped @BlackGarlic to the pan.
Saute 5 minutes or until the juices have been released and they start to brown. Add 1/2 cup of dry red wine making sure to scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Simmer 5 minutes. This is my recent favorite red to drink and cook with.
It’s a nice bodied red that doesn’t make me too hot when I drink it, like most reds do. It’s tasty!
Trim any additional fat from the pork chops and then cut a horizontal slit in the center of the chop being careful not to cut all the way through.
Remove the mushroom mixture and allow to cool. Once cooled, pulse a few times in a food processor until it’s coarsely chopped.
Stuff 1/8 cup of the mushroom mixture into each chop and use a toothpick to close the slit.
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining oil and swirl to coat. Cook each chop 2 to 4 minutes on each side or until just cooked through.
Remove toothpicks before serving.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup white button mushrooms, sliced
- 7 cloves #black garlic, chopped
- 1 pound pork chops, boneless, trimmed, lean only
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 8 toothpicks
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat. Saute onion for 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and garlic. Saute 5 minutes or until they release their juices and being to brown.
- Add wine and deglaze pan, making sure to scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Trim any excess fat from the chops. Thinly slice a horizontal slit into each chop forming a pocket and making sure not to cut all the way through the chop.
- Once the mushroom mixture has cooled, pulse a few times in a food processor to coarsely chop the mushrooms and garlic.
- Place approximately 1/8 to 1/4 cup of mushroom mixture into the pocket of each chop and secure with 2 toothpicks.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add the remaining oil; swirling to coat the pan. Add chops to pan and cook 2 to 4 minutes on each side depending on their thickness. Remove toothpicks before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 302Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 95mgSodium 77mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 3gSugar 3gProtein 31g