Quick One Pot Red Beans and Rice is super quick and delicious for any night of the week.
I was all over this theme for #SundaySupper this week. My mind started filling with all the ideas you could make in one pot. The cabbage roll casserole was my first idea. We have Stove Top Tuna Casserole. That’s an S creation. A mighty tasty one, too. Any number of soups and stews, slow cooker meals; they’re almost always one pot wonders. There’s chicken and rice dishes, chops with soup gravies and rice. The ideas are endless!!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE one pot meals. Seriously. How good does this Quick One Pot Red Beans and Rice look?? I know!! smoked sausage swimming with veggies in tasty broth with spices. YUM!
They make weeknight dinners easy and tasty. That’s usually when I want the quick meals with few dishes. Our #SundaySuppers are usually meals we don’t have time to make on the weekends. BUT the weekdays? Almost always 45 minutes or less. There’s a few exceptions to the rule. That’s usually when my brain stops working and I forget to do some kind of prep work. Meh. It happens.
I mean, I have the menu on the fridge. I TRY my hardest to remember to look at it each morning. Some weeks I remember everything we’re supposed to have every day we’re having it. Sometimes, not so much. Sometimes I forget to take the meat out of the freezer to thaw. Sometimes I forget to set the rice to cook in the AWESOMEST RICE COOKER EVER! And sometimes, I just forget to buy an important ingredient and we have to make something completely different. Sometimes I come up with the best meals when I have to drop back and punt.
I didn’t have to with this dish. Almost all the items I had one hand. I simply needed to get some peppers and some sausage. Mmmmmmm smoked sausage. This is such a versatile ingredient. It can blend in mac and cheese, roast with veggies, saute with peppers, swim in soups. It is almost a staple in our fridge or freezer. Before I get off on another tangent, I shall leave you with my quick and easy red beans and rice.
A hearty and delicious meal, this Quick One Pot Red Beans and Rice is a meal that comes together easily. And since it's cooked in one pot, your clean is easy, too!
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 12 ounces turkey kielbasa, sliced
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 14 ounces canned tomatoes
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 28 ounces canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat. Sauté onions and garlic, stirring frequently, 3 to 5 minutes, or until onions are tender.
- Stir in the Cajun seasoning and sausage. Sauté until the sausage is brown.
- Stir in the canned tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, stir in basmati rice, and red beans.
- Simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender.