Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken Cheesesteaks have sweet peppers, tasty onions, and earthy mushrooms simmered in flavorful chicken broth. They’re a deliciously simple recipe to make for any night of the week.
And now I’d like to introduce you to these Slow Cooker Tuscan Cheesesteaks, which have been a long time in the making. And by long time I mean 3 or 4 months? And they started out as Tuscan Beef Dips. I never could quite get the flavors of the Tuscan Spice Mix to come through with the beef. I think this is what prompted me to officially make a Tuscan Spice Mix. These sandwiches may still be resurrected as beef dips later. Ya just never can tell with me! They do look tasty as chicken cheesesteaks, though, don’t they?
For the life of me, I couldn’t seem to remember to add the sun-dried tomatoes to the beef version. These aren’t the ones in the jar. These are the sun-dried tomatoes in a pouch. In my grocery, they’re in the produce section with the dried fruits and salad toppings.
If you can’t find them, then I’m sure you can easily use your favorite type of sun-dried tomatoes. We are cutting our fat intake, so I use them instead of the ones marinated in olive oil. They absorb extra liquid and get all sweet and tangy tasty with the chicken. Mmm… I’m getting hungry and I just ate! Just writing about these tasty sammies is making my mouth water. That’s honestly how scrumptious they truly are!
See? We’re trying to be all healthy and having a lettuce wedge with these sandwiches. Of course, we had some easy fries, too. I can’t have a sandwich without chips or fries of some sort. I’m weak. I know. But doesn’t that make you want to just dive right in? The crisp lettuce, the tasty au jus, the tomatoes and cheese peaking out of the hoagie roll. Come on. Be honest. You’re drooling a little bit, too, aren’t ya?
How can you not be? See that tomato and onion just resting on top of that creamy cheese and oh so flavorful chicken!! Not to mention the sweet peppers, tasty onions, and earthy mushrooms that simmered in the flavorful chicken broth. It’s just an added bonus that this meal is slow cooked with little to no prep! If you’re REALLY pressed for time, hit your local grocery salad bar for pre-chopped veggies to toss in this slow cooked sandwich or look for them in the freezer section. You don’t even have to thaw them, if you don’t want to. That’s honestly how super simple these are.
Unless you don’t have a slow cooker, there is no reason you can’t make these for dinner. And with summer coming, at least in my part of the world, I make excuses for not being in the kitchen when it’s hot outside. My slow cooker is my salvation during the summer months. I wouldn’t want to slave over a hot stove making these sandwiches, no matter how tasty they are! Just being honest…
Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken Cheesesteaks have sweet peppers,
tasty onions, and earthy mushrooms simmered in flavorful chicken broth.
They're a deliciously simple recipe to make for any night of the week.
- 2 pounds skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Tuscan Spice Mix
- 1 cup thinly sliced green bell peppers
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (in a pouch, not in oil or water)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 slices reduced fat provolone cheese
- Place the chicken thighs in the bottom of a slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Pour the chicken broth in the slow cooker. Sprinkle the chicken thighs with salt and pepper to taste then 1/2 teaspoon Tuscan Spice Mix on top.
- Arrange the next four ingredients (peppers through sun-dried tomatoes) on top of the chicken thighs. Cook on high 5 to 7 hours or until the chicken is fork tender. Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken and cool slightly before removing the bone and shredding the chicken. Remove as much of the vegetables from the broth and place in a bowl.
- While the chicken and vegetables are cooling, combine the water and the cornstarch and add it to the broth in the slow cooker. Cook on high until slightly thickened.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place 3 ounces of chicken meat on the bottom half of a hoagie roll. Top with 1/4 cup of vegetables from the slow cooker and 2 slices of provolone cheese. Broil until the cheese is bubbly and melted. Top with tomatoes and onions and serve with 1/2 cup broth for dipping.
Amount Per Serving Calories 500Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 217mgSodium 907mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 3gSugar 7gProtein 51g