I have never heard of or even thought of smoking garlic. It’s rubbed with turmeric and then smoked. Or at least this head was. You see, there’s this farmers market down the street from work. They usually have a nice motley assortment of fresh produce, meats, desserts, snacks, and the occasional spices, oils, and skin creams. I try to go every Friday when it’s open. I almost always find something interesting to purchase or at least photograph.
It smelled REALLY strong!! I mean, as soon as I opened the head, the aroma permeated the WHOLE apartment. Even in a plastic baggie. So, I double baggied it so my whole fridge didn’t smell of garlic. It.is.strong. Just sayin…
What to do with it…what to do…what to do…
I knew I was making naan this weekend. We created an Afghan dish that was pretty darn good. S doesn’t think so. He didn’t like the spices I put in the sauce. You’ll just have to wait for this one. It’s gonna take me a bit to write it and I’ve been UBER busy at work. Well, who am I kidding. I’m ALWAYS UBER busy at work lately. But we’re short one and one person is on emergency family duty, so in reality we’re short 2 people. *sigh*
Anyway, this is about garlic and naan.
But I know naan calls for ghee, which is butter crack if you haven’t had any before. Nutty, buttery goodness. #nomz
BUT I didn’t want to add the calories and fat of the ghee. So, I thought I’d try a low fat version. This was simple to throw together and was rather tasty. I think I may morph it into a pizza dough recipe or at the very least, you could make these as flat bread pizzas. #drool
Before I get to the recipe, I want to answer the Five Among Friends week 8.
1. If you were going to start you own company, what would it be?
Hehehe. In fantasy world I’d start Mobile Macaron! Macaron food truck for the DC area. I’d also like to do a dog food and treat business.
2. Who is the craziest person in your life?
She wouldn’t think so, but I think my mother is. I mean, they just sold their house near Trenton and are retiring to Maui. MAUI of all places! INSAGN! She’s always running off doing stuff, flying by the seat of her pants. She is just non-stop and to me…that’s crazy.
3. What would the title of your autobiography be? Explain why….?
She Hoored Her Life Away and Other Confessions From the Kitchen. I don’t think I need to explain why.
4. What do you lie about?
I don’t really see the point in lying. I dont’ lie about my age because I usually get, ‘NO! You can’t be that old!” I don’t lie about my weight. No one really asks, and those do care so I tell them the truth.
5. What are you obsessed with right now?
Cooking the world. I want to make an AKH dish from every country in the world. I’m always intrigued by authentic and traditional dishes. Granted, there’s no way I’ll be able to make them completely authentically. I can only make my version of what I think it would taste like. Should be interesting.
Knead dough with dough hook for 10 minutes. Place in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, tossing dough to coat. Allow to rise 1 hour.
Roll dough out to 1/4 inch thick.
Heat a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Cook the bread 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Place in oven and keep warm. Continue cooking remaining bread making sure to coat the pan with cooking spray between each piece. Serve with Aushuk with Meat Sauce.
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/4 cup nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 3 cloves smoked garlic
- Combine flours, sugar, salt, yeast, yogurt, oil, and water in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Mix until well blended. Change to dough hook.
- Knead dough with dough hook for 10 minutes. Place in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, tossing dough to coat. Allow to rise 1 hour.
- Divide dough into 8 to 12 balls. Allow to rest 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 200.
- Roll dough out to 1/4 inch thick.
- Heat a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Cook the bread 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Place in oven and keep warm.
- Continue cooking remaining bread making sure to coat the pan with cooking spray between each piece.
- Serve with Aushuk with Meat Sauce.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 195Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 0mgSodium 407mgCarbohydrates 38gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 6g