It doesn’t look like much when you’re putting it together, but once Spaghetti Pie is baked it really does taste delicious and filling.
For those that don’t know, SRC (Secret Recipe Club) is a group of extremely talented bloggers, chefs, and food-thousiasts like myself. Once a month, we sign up to participate and once a month we’re assigned a fellow blogger in our group. Once we have found and created or re-created a recipe on the blog we are assigned, we create a post telling everyone about our assigned blogger, their blog, and the chosen recipe on our specified group reveal date.
Honestly, I’ve been looking to make a Spaghetti Pie for a while, but just never really got around to it. That is until now!
I was assigned Baking and Creating with Avril for this month’s SRC. I will be honest, it wasn’t easy finding a recipe that wasn’t already an SRC post, but I did stumble on this one when I started going through the history on the sidebar and NOT from the recipe box. A little trick…
Avril has a TON of baking recipes. They all look and sounds delicious. I have a few earmarked for creating or inspirations for later creations. But this recipe just screamed, “MAKE ME NOW!” So, I did.
This is a recipe you can throw together right now. I know it. It has such great pantry ingredients yet it is so so SO tasty! If you’re like me, you have pasta sauce in your pantry right now. And always have pasta on hand for any easy meal. Then there’s the herbs and spice. Given. And the cheese, maybe or maybe not. At least cottage cheese or ricotta depending on your tastes, and well, ALWAYS have mozzarella on hand. It’s so versatile! So, all you may need to purchase is ground turkey or use beef if you have it on hand.
This is almost like poor man’s lasagna. Just swap out lasagna noodles with pasta and voila! It has the flavor and taste to it. The layers of pasta and meet with cheese and sauce reminds me so much of lasagna, but without all the prep of cooking the lasagna noodles or using those no bake. Honestly, those never work for me; too watery.
Of course, I took it to a low fat level with my few adjustments. Yes, I omitted the butter. I swapped out ground beef with ground turkey and the ricotta with poor man’s ricotta (aka cottage cheese). Then topped it all with some fat free mozzarella.
Just look at all that cheesy, turkey, spaghetti-y goodness. Yeah, made that last one up.
But seriously, this was fabulous. It doesn’t look like much when you’re putting it together, but once it’s baked it really does taste delicious and filling. Granted, these photos don’t do it justice. It’s getting darker out so I’m losing my nice, natural light. Please don’t let the photos keep you from making this scrumptious dinner from your pantry.
So, if you’ve looking for something to bake up, head over to Avril’s blog. And if you’re looking for something quick and easy to throw together for dinner tonight, just keep reading!
A few pantry ingredients turn into a hearty and filling meal. Spaghetti Pie is perfect for any night of the week!
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup diced onion
- 28 ounces low fat spaghetti sauce
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 cup fat free cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups fat free mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook the noodles until al dente omitting the additional salt and fat. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onions. Cook the onions until tender; about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Crumble the ground turkey into the pan and brown, breaking up large pieces while browning. Once browned, remove from heat, and drain any excess liquid.
- Combine the egg substitute with the cottage cheese, garlic salt, Italian seasoning, and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese in a large mixing bowl. Add the pasta and toss well to combine.
- Spread the pasta mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13 casserole dish covered with cooking spray. Top with the beef mixture.
- Pour the spaghetti sauce over the beef. Cover and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until bubbly and hot.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Cool slightly before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 419Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 64mgSodium 1327mgCarbohydrates 47gFiber 5gSugar 12gProtein 45g