Low-fat Chocolate Chunk Brownies have all the flavor with less fat. They’re packed with chocolate chunks and rich delicious flavor.
It’s SRC reveal day! I can’t wait to see what everyone in Group D has made this month. I know I have some tasty vittles to reveal, myself. Like these Chocolate Chunk Brownies from Life on Food.
For those that don’t know, SRC (Secret Recipe Club) is a group of extremely talented bloggers, chefs, and food-thousiasts like myself. Once a month, we sign up to participate and once a month we’re assigned a fellow blogger in our group. Once we have found and created or re-created a recipe on the blog we are assigned, we create a post telling everyone about our assigned blogger, their blog, and the chosen recipe on our specified group reveal date. I’m not explaining it all that well. It’s awesome and I’ve found some really wonderful blogs to follow and be inspired by.
Like this one! Life on Food is chock full of SO many recipes!! I honestly had difficulty picking which one to make. Yes, I know. I say this every month, but seriously, Emily has such a range of recipes on her site. I thoroughly enjoyed reading all the titles and selecting a few that I was interested in making.
Emily is a bit like me; spent her time in the kitchen with her mother and grandmother. I was lucky enough to have Dad in there, too, sometimes. Anyway, she and I both are married to wonderful partners who love being in the kitchen with us. S does the chopping, cutting and tasting. He’s always telling me I need more salt. LOL
Since I’m always looking for a good brownie recipe, I thought I’d try hers. With a few adjustments, of course. S and I are still doing the low fat thing for his cholesterol, so I cut the butter in half and added applesauce. Then I used egg substitute instead of real eggs. The chocolate? Well, I can’t do much about the fat in there. I also added just a smidge of espresso powder. I have some and can’t help playing with it.
O.M.G. these brownies are fabulous! Even with the adjustments I made, they are moist and deliciously chocolate-y. You’re not going to miss the added butter and cholesterol from the eggs. They did take a little longer to cook, but were well worth the wait. And yes, please do allow them to cool at least an hour. It gives everything time to settle. If you rush them, well, let’s just say it won’t be pretty!
So, please make sure to head over to Life on Food and peruse her recipes list. Also, please scroll down and check out all the tasty vittles linked up from Group D this month! I can’t wait to see who I’m paired with next month!
Delicious chocolate chunks are baked into a lower fat brownie that's moist and delicious. These Low-fat Chocolate Chunk Brownies have all the flavor with less fat.
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate chunks
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Place 1 cup chocolate chunks in a microwave safe bowl with the applesauce and the butter. Microwave on high 1 minute then stir.
- If the chocolate is not melted, microwave an additional 30 seconds and stir again. Repeat this last step until the chocolate is melted.
- In a bowl, with a wooden spoon, beat egg substitute, sugar, salt, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add chocolate mixture and stir until well blended.
- Combine the flour, salt, and espresso powder in a small bowl. Add flour to the chocolate mixture, about a third at a time, stirring after each addition just until blended.
- Add remaining chopped chocolate and fold until chunks are evenly distributed
- Grease pan with butter. Pour the batter into the pan and spread until even.
- Bake at 325 F just until surface develops a thin crust about 25 to 35 minutes. Do not over bake.
- Cool completely in pan on a rack, at least 1 hour. Cut into 8 squares
Amount Per Serving Calories 532Total Fat 27gSaturated Fat 16gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 21mgSodium 202mgCarbohydrates 63gFiber 8gSugar 28gProtein 11g