The popular cocktail is turned into these delicious cupcakes. Tequila Sunrise Cupcakes have delicious orange flavor with a hint of cherry in the cake and tequila in the frosting.
Eons ago (read June) I won a Pillsbury prize pack from Buns in my Oven. They’ve been sitting on a book shelf. Don’t ask. I’ve been trying to figure out what I wanted to do with the 2 cake mixes and 2 cookie mixes. I didn’t want it to be the standard orange cupcake. I wanted something different…
This weekend it was more wedding prep type stuff. S wasn’t a huge fan of the red dress I liked. “Too Christmas-y!” It’s not like I was LOOKING for a new dress. I honestly was looking for shoes that didn’t KILL my foot to wear with the wedding dress.
Okay. Can I just say I hate shoe shopping almost as much as the dentist? Yeah. SOooo not a chick. I hate shopping in general, unless it’s for kitchen stuff, but shoe shopping is almost as fun as having a tooth pulled. My feet have issues. AND with this new development, they are even more picky. I have shoes. That fit. And are a good color to go with the dress. I wore them last weekend to get my dress hemmed. I could barely stand in them let along walk in them.
Whatever I did to my foot while I was there last time is keeping me from wearing these shoes this time. I mean…HURT hurt. Could barely stand hurt. It really freaked me out. Great. Now I’ve we’ve shelled out $170 to have this thing hemmed and altered and now I can’t even wear heels? You have GOT to be kidding me. *sigh*
So, off we went on Saturday to find shoes for my wedding dress. Okay. Before you ask, yes, we went to DSW, Payless, Famous Footwear, Naturalizer, Macy’s, Nordstrom, Sears, JC Penny, Forever 21, Clarks, Lord and Taylor, Michael Kors. You name it. We went into every shoe store in Fair Oaks Mall. E.V.E.R.Y! And I just have to say that I’m very surprised that I found a pair of shoes, I could walk in without excruciating pain, and they were a good color for my wedding dress at Sears of all places. Yes. Sears. Go figure.
During this process, however, we found an after wedding dinner dress. At Macy’s, of course. But this lead to finding more shoes. Oh what a vicious cycle. *sigh* BACk to DSW we went. And found these:
Yup. I’m calling them my hoochie mama shoes. They are PERFECT for the dress, which will still needs hemming so BACK to the tailors this weekend we go. And we still need to find a bakery for a cake. Suggestions? NoVA peeps?
After all this excitement on Saturday, Sunday was hooring day.
I decided, since we were having a Happy New Year party at work (umm…fiscal new year peeps), that I’d use these mixes in some way shape or form. The cake went to, well, cupcakes. DUH! I wanted to make something healthier for those trying to stick to a calorie budget. Most in the office seem to forget those peeps, but I never do. And I wasn’t invited to participate in the planning, even though I volunteered. Trust me.
Many things would have been different. IJS. One pizza for every 2 people is a BIT much. Considering most will only eat 2 maybe 3 pieces and there’s only 14 of us. At most there should have been 6 pizzas because not everyone was there. I think there were 8 or 10? LARGE pizzas. Chips, dip *yawn* fruit bowl *yawnyawn* SSDD.
So, I made these cupcakes…for those that didn’t want to full fat cupcakes that were offered.
I also made something with the cookie mix, but you’ll have to wait to find out what that is. *giggle*
So, no we all jump off a fiscal cliff with a government shut down. At least my office is exempt…for now.
And…can I just say…it takes TWO people to have an argument. It’s not easy to have a disagreement with just one party…there MUST be two. AND that is the extent of my political commentary. I’ll stick to hooring in the kitchen, thank you!
- 15.25 ounces orange flavored cake mix (Orangesicle)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon tequila
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- 9 whole maraschino cherries, halved
- 16 ounces orange flavored frosting (Orangesicle)
- 1 tablespoon tequila
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine the cake mix, orange juice, applesauce and egg substitute in a mixing bowl. Beat according to package directions.
- Place one third of the mix in a small mixing bowl. Add one tablespoons tequila and 1 teaspoon red food coloring. Stir until combined. Add more red food coloring to reach the desired red color similar to grenadine.
- Line 18 muffin tins with
- Spoon 1 1/2 tablespoons of the red cake mix into each muffin tin, place 1 cherry half on top of the red cake mix, then fill until 2/3 full regular cake mix.
- Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes, then move the cupcakes to a rack and cool completely.
- Combine the frosting with the remaining 1 tablespoon tequila. Frost the cupcakes with the tequila sunrise flavored frosting.