Hearty, tasty, and worthy of a Father’s Day Meal, this Salisbury Steak with Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy is easy and tasty. He’ll think you’ve cooked ALL day!
We are dishing up some Man Food today! In honor of Father’s Day, I’ve made one of Dad’s favorite dishes; Salisbury Steak. To go WITH the Salisbury Steak, I’ve made some Loaded Mashed Potatoes and some Mushroom Gravy to pour over top. Okay. Stop drooling. I know it looks delicious, but there’s a post to read.
Next week, I’m lucky enough to host TWO dads!! S’s dad and step-mom are passing through and we’ve offered up our new guest bedroom for their stay for the night. We’re doing the dinner thing with them and since MY dad and step-mom are so close we’ve asked them to join us. How exciting is that?? I don’t think any of my family has met any of S’s family. There was no wedding for people to attend, so … yeah.
No. I won’t be cooking for them.
Maybe a dessert? *shrugs* I have to make some cookies for the luau at work anyway. We’ll see how that goes.
The best part about this recipe, it’s not expensive! If you’re on a budget because you spent all your money on your Dad, this is just ground beef. Yeah, it’s not going to taste like a filet, but this is pretty darn tasty, if I may say so! And Dad usually cleans his plate when I make it. Granted, it’s been a few years since I’ve cooked for Dad. The last time we had them over, I think it was a Christmas? And we made a standing rib roast? NO I think it was chicken picatta?
My brain is a sieve, remember?
No one understands that more than Dad. He has the same type of memory. Granted, he can use age as an excuse. I just…well…have no excuse. LOL
And honestly, there’s no excuse for you NOT to make this for your father either this weekend or next year. Or maybe for his birthday! Or even just because! Who says you have to have an excuse to pamper your father with a hearty meal like this one?
- 4 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups diced potato, peeled
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 6 slices turkey bacon, crisped and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup skim milk
- Preheat a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté 5 to 7 minutes or until juices have released. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the potatoes in cold water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer until fork tender.
- Combine the ground beef and next 5 ingredients (garlic salt through Worcestershire sauce) in a mixing bowl. Divide into 6 portions and form into patties.
- Return the skillet to the heat and brown the patties 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Combine the beef broth with the cornstarch and stir with a whisk. Stir in the mushrooms and add to the pan. Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened and the patties are cooked through and no longer pink.
- Once the potatoes are fork tender, drain and place in a large mixing bowl. Add butter and salt and pepper to taste. Beat with a mixer until most of the lumps are gone. Add milk and next four ingredients (sour cream through bacon). Continue to beat with a hand mixer until the potatoes are light and fluffy.
- Divide the potatoes evenly between 6 plates. Place one patty and one cup of mushroom gravy over each patty. Serve with golden zucchini.
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Golabki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Pound Cake Stacks with Roasted Strawberries by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper byENOFYLZ Wine Blog