Gnocchi with Browned Butter and Spinach are pillows of heavenly gnocchi swimming in browned butter and spinach. This is a super easy meat free meal.
I had planned on making this MONTHS ago. Dad had given me a package of gnocchi when he decided to do the no carb thing again. I, on the other hand, think carbs are crack and cannot live without them. No dough of any kind? Whaaaaaa? Are you insagn?? Lock me away in a white room with a special jacket if I ever say I’m going no carb. Because obviously something has happened to my brain and I’m no longer right da head. Seriously.
However, when I went to make this, the gnocchi just didn’t look … right. Ya know what I mean? So, I pitched them and haven’t really thought about it since. Except last week. Someone posted a squash and gnocchi something on Pinterest and well, my mind went off on a tangent. As it usually does when I’m on Pinterest.
I know I’ve seen browned butter gnocchi recipes floating around. I incorporated some of the black garlic I have in the pantry. It has such a rich, deep flavor! i thought would enhance the flavor of of the spinach. With as strong as it smells, the black garlic really did blend into the back with the spinach. I could taste the hint of garlic flavor there, but I’m not sure if S could taste it.
Am I the only one or does anyone else think gnocchi are tiny little pillows of potato heaven? No? Just me? *sigh* Okay. Well, I do. I wouldn’t go as far as to say that if you paired them with asparagus(ting) that I’d readily eat the whole dish, but almost… I mean, I’m not a HUGE fan of freshly sauteed spinach, but I ate it all up! Yes, I know spinach is good for me, but it just tastes weird on my tongue when it’s freshly sauteed.
Why yes, I do have weird taste issues. Thanks for asking!
BUT This does not taste weird. It was really yummy…at least for me. Not sure what S would say about it. I will have to make some new gnocchi recipes. So…stay tuned. 😉
Am I the only one or does anyone else think gnocchi are tiny little pillows of potato heaven? Made with fermented black garlic, Gnocchi with Browned Butter and Spinach is rich and delicious.
- 2 pounds gnocchi
- 1/2 cup butter, sliced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 13 ounces fresh spinach
- 3 cloves black garlic (or roasted garlic)
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions omitting salt and fat. Keep warm.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced butter and cook; whisking frequently. The butter will foam and being to turn brown. Watch carefully that the butter doesn't burn.
- Remove from heat and carefully pour the butter into a heatproof bowl making sure that the browned solids at the bottom of the pan remain.
- Wipe the pan clean with paper towels and return to the heat. Add the browned butter, garlic and pine nuts. Cook until the garlic is reheated and the nuts start to brown. Add the spinach and saute until the spinach is cooked.
- Toss the gnocchi with the spinach and browned butter sauce.