Packed with colors, flavors, textures, and Florida strawberries, this Grilled Fish Topped with Strawberry Salsa is the perfect way to warm up during the holidays! Another way to warm up is to enter their giveaway! Keep reading for details.
Winter is eminent here in my neck of the woods. The daylight is getting shorter and the mornings are getting colder. Before I know it, the winter coat, hats, and gloves will be part of the morning commute on the train.
I don’t mind winter, really. My genetic disposition leads me to like the cooler temperatures. While there’s Irish and German in my blood, there’s mostly Swedish and Norwegian. You can easily see that in any picture of me on my blog or Facebook.
While I love the cold weather, I love the produce that the warmer weather brings. Strawberries in particular! I’d be hard pressed to find a farm stand open in my area now that has fresh strawberries. In fact, they’d probably think I was off my rocker and laugh at me.
However, did you know that Florida strawberries are growing NOW?? I KNOW!! I’m excited, too!! Those luscious rich berries can adorn my red and green holiday table. Serving up some Florida strawberries, I can help transport my guests to warmer days and warmer places while we’re wearing sweaters.
My husband was a little skeptical about the magic that is Florida strawberries. I mean, he lived in Naples for 16 years, so he might not realize how rare delicious strawberries can be during the colder months outside of Florida. He’s learning though.
He’s also learning how rare it is having fresh fish! Any time of the year!! Unless you go to the fish market on the DC waterfront, there’s little option for fresh fish near us. Which is one of the reasons why the fish is relatively nondescript.
We used Mahi Mahi because that’s what we requested from this cool, off the wall fish market we found. However, I don’t want you to feel like you must use that fish. Swordfish was delicious with this recipe. I think any light fish with a good body will work – even walleye!
The most important part is to make sure that you look for Florida strawberries. Not only are they fresh and in season now, but they have the most amazing flavor and luscious red color that a strawberry should have. They are the perfect color of red to not only adorn your table, but also to include in drinks, desserts, breakfasts, side dishes, main dishes, ANY DISH!!
Think of a strawberry. Imagine biting into it. It’s so juicy. You taste that little tang on the tip of your tongue before the sweetness overpowers. That most amazing strawberry flavor fills your mouth. That’s how these berries taste; just like you’re imaging right now. Florida strawberries are the epitome of the perfect strawberry.
Florida Strawberries not only taste amazing, but did you know that they have ton of vitamin C? Just 8 strawberries contain as much vitamin C as one orange. EIGHT! Not only that, but strawberries are packed with folic acid to help metabolize proteins (like fish), potassium, and ellagic acid which is believed to reduce the risk of cancer (per USDA research).
As if all of that wasn’t enough, strawberries are one of three foods that score 100 on the Overall Nutrition Quality Index (ONQI). Yeah, I hadn’t heard of ONQI either. Basically, Florida strawberries pack a nutrient-dense punch for very few calories.
Now, just look at that strawberry salsa. I know you want to dive in even more now that you know it’s not only going to taste good, but will be jam packed with nutrients. We upped our better for you game by putting it some lean, delicious, rocking the omega-3 fish under that Florida strawberry salsa.
You can expect it to be sweet, with a little onion, and some jalapeno kick. There’s plenty of crunch with the cucumbers that also bring a flavor element that’s not easy to explain. It’s like a fresh flavor that elevates the sweet, strawberry flavor. You’ll just have to try it. Once you do, I know this Florida strawberry salsa is one you will want to serve over fish, chicken – any meat really! Or simply with chips as an appetizer.
Either way you serve it, this strawberry salsa is made amazing by the fresh, Florida strawberries that are in season right now! Without those red gems, my holidays might not be so bright red and green. Florida strawberries should be in your local grocery store. Please look for Florida Strawberries next time you’re craving some strawberry salsa.
Now, if strawberry salsa isn’t your thing, Florida Strawberries has many other recipes to choose from not only on their website, but their social media sites are jam packed (no pun intended) with delicious images of strawberry recipes. Be sure to follow them on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google +, Pinterest, and YouTube so you don’t miss a single strawberry recipes!
And, as if that wasn’t enough, Florida Strawberries is having a giveaway!! That’s right!! Snap a pic of you and some delicious Florida Strawberries and upload it here, share it on social media, and tag it with #FLstrawberryCap for a strawberry cap.
Everyone who enters gets a strawberry cap (one per household) and a chance to win a getaway to TradeWinds Island Resort in St. Pete’s Beach! Yup. You could TRULY travel to warmer weather! Enter and you could win airfare, accommodations, and a tour of a strawberry farm in Plant City for up to 4 people (Official Rules)!! How cool is that?? They’re hand selecting the winner, so BE CREATIVE!
- 2 cups Florida strawberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup peeled and finely diced seedless cucumber
- 1/3 cup finely diced mango
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno (remove seeds for less heat)
- 1 - 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound fish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat grill for high heat.
- Combine the first 7 ingredients (strawberries through sea salt) in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Sprinkle the fish with salt and pepper and grill on high 3 to 4 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the fish. (Roughly 10 minutes per inch of thickness with the lid down on high heat.)
- Allow the fish to rest a few minutes before topping with the salsa and serving.
- Balsamic Strawberry Brie Bites by Casa de Crews
- Roasted Strawberry Chipotle Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Savory Strawberry Crostini by Cooking Chat
- Strawberry Apple Salsa by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Strawberry Hummus by The Freshman Cook
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries by Desserts Required
- Classic Eton Mess by Sunday Supper Movement
- Fresh Strawberry Pie by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Goopy Goop – A Healthy Strawberry Sauce by Cricket’s Confections
- Strawberry Bundt Cake by Caroline’s Cooking
- Strawberry Layer Cake with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting by Family Around The Table
- Grilled Balsamic Strawberry & Chicken Kabobs by Books n’ Cooks
- Grilled Fish Topped with Strawberry Salsa by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Spicy Strawberry BBQ Shredded Chicken by The Crumby Cupcake
- Strawberry and Arugula Pizza by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Strawberry Balsamic Brie Grilled Cheese by Authentically Candace
- Strawberry Almond Couscous by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Bread by An Appealing Plan
- Strawberry Bruschetta Side Salad by April Golightly
- Strawberry Coleslaw by Family Foodie
- Strawberry Pecan Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks