Creamed Chipped Spinach and Mushrooms Over Toast is served over toast with a couple of fried eggs making for a deliciously different breakfast for dinner meal.
I was actually looking to make a shakshuka. If you’ve never made that or eaten it, what are you waiting for? It’s delicious and perfect for a #MeatlessMonday meal. I mean, it’s breakfast for dinner! How can it NOT be good?
So, that’s what I was looking for. But then I thought, “Why can’t I make this with green chiles and tomatillos?” Which you can, but I didn’t make that, obviously. I stumbled on a green shakshuka and that got me thinking, as I’m want to do when wandering aimlessly on Pinterest trying to solidify a recipe idea. Why can’t I make a creamed spinach Florentine shakshuka? No, that’s not this either.
I wrote what I thought was going to be the recipe for this spinach Florentine version of a poached eggs in a vegetable sauce. However, when I saw how much spinach the 12 ounce bag actually turned out to be, I had to rethink this.
I’m not really used to completely changing up the whole recipe when it’s go time, but that’s what I had to do. I already had the onions and mushrooms in the pan sauteing. While I stared at that spinach and flashes of images from Pinterest streamed in my head. Sometimes I really do LOVE my photographic memory. Then I mashed up the idea of the shakshuka with image of eggs baked in creamed spinach and that’s what I want with.
Now, I’ve never actually made creamed spinach. I’ve eaten it and LOVE it, but made it? Nope. It wasn’t even really on my “to make” list either. I’m not sure why. I just didn’t really think it was something I needed to make at some point in my life.
Trust me when I tell you that I will be making this creamed spinach again. You may see it over pasta, as a side dish, maybe with enchiladas. This creamed spinach is TO DIE FOR! Honestly. I didn’t waste any of this deliciousness when I took it for lunch the next day. I didn’t take eggs for lunch. No. I just had the spinach and mushrooms over bread. Licked the bowl. I kid you not.
It is THAT GOOD.
Guys, just LOOK at it! See that creamy spinach and tender sautéed mushrooms? How can you resist such delicious goodness? All on top of hearty, toasted French bread topped with an egg. And that little sprinkle of cheese on top there? Oh yeah! Salty creamy Gruyere cheese is the only one, in my opinion, that can stand out in this dish.
I give you artistic license to make the eggs just how you like them. Now, this is my egg, which isn’t runny. I know I’ve talked about that before in any post where I do a poached egg. S’s egg was runny. It mixed perfectly with the creamed spinach and cheese. I did give him the option of fried or poached and he went with fried. I need to make poached more often so I can get them right every time. I such at poached eggs. Just saying.
While this didn’t turn out as the dish I started to make, I wouldn’t have changed a thing! This recipe is delicious. No, I can’t say that enough. It’s hearty and perfect for a weekend breakfast or a weeknight #meatfree meal.
Doing a brunch? Easy! Have the creamed chipped spinach and mushrooms simmering on the stove and whip up eggs as people want them. The spinach is easy to double or even triple depending on how big your crowd is, or how hearty your guests are. OR you could make a double batch as a side dish and then save the rest for breakfast the next day.
Delicious creamed spinach is the basis for this #MeatlessMonday meal. It's paired with sauteed "chipped" mushrooms then simmered in a low fat cream sauce. Creamed Chipped Spinach and Mushrooms Over Toast is served over toast with a couple of fried eggs making for a deliciously different breakfast for dinner meal.
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups frozen spinach, drained and squeezed dry
- 2 cups fat free milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced fat Parmesan cheese
- 12 ounces thickly sliced French bread
- 6 large eggs
- Heat a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the onions sauté until lightly browned. Add the mushrooms and cook until they release their juices.
- Coarsely chop the spinach and then add to the mushroom mixture. Sauté until the spinach is heated through.
- Combine the milk with the flour and pour over the spinach mixture along with the garlic, garlic salt, and thyme. Bring to a boil and then simmer until thickened.
- While the mixture is simmering, cook the eggs and toast the bread to your liking. We cooked ours over easy, but a poached egg or sunny side up would be perfect, too.
- When the eggs are cooked and the toast is made, remove the spinach mixture from the heat and add the cheese. Stir until the cheeses are melted.
- Spoon 1/3 cup of the mixture on top of two slices of toast. Top each slice with one egg and then drizzle 1/3 cup of the spinach mixture on top of the eggs and garnish with cheese.
Amount Per Serving Calories 741Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 404mgSodium 1547mgCarbohydrates 91gFiber 10gSugar 20gProtein 46g