Using turkey sausage and pepperoni along with healthy peppers and onions, these Supreme Pizza Sloppy Joes will not only be your kids favorite, but since they’re healthy, they’ll be yours as well!
I’ve been on this sloppy joe kick lately. I’ve made some delicious Turkey Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes, Green Chile Sloppy Joes, and some Sloppy Eds (made from eggplant). And I continue to make and LOVE the Cooking Light Chipotle Sloppy Joes. Chipotle is crack. I love the smoky and spicy flavor of it.
But that’s not what these are about.
I actually have ANOTHER sloppy joe recipe to cook up on Saturday. They’re perfect for weeknights or any night you want something fuss free for dinner. If I have quick and easy meals planned for the 6 nights a week we cook, then there’s less temptation to order in on Saturday night. It’s always the weekends where I sabotage this nutrition change I’m trying to accomplish. Granted this past week was – let’s just less than ideal.
But these are TOTALLY ideal! Even with the fries. They’re easy fries, which, from what I remember, are slightly healthy. Granted, you could bake your own fries and they would be healthier, but quick and easy remember? Homemade baked fries meet neither requirement in my book. Easy fries are cooked in the microwave and have less fat than other bagged varieties that I have in my grocery. Not to mention they cook up in 4 minutes and are essentially portion controlled. Win win.
Now, back to these sloppy joes. They really did taste like supreme pizza. And BOY were they DELICIOUS! The turkey Italian sausage and the turkey pepperoni are nice and meaty. The onions and peppers add a nice, sweet flavor and crunch. You could also throw in some mushrooms with the peppers and onions, and you could top with black olives if you wanted. It’s your dinner. Make it how you want to!
And then when you’re done, top it with lots and lots and LOTS of cheese! I used the fat free variety because I’m trying to control our fat intake for my health and the hubs.
To help the cheese melt, you could put them under the broiler for a minute or two. I was too hungry and could wait to dig into these beauties to do that. After tasting while cooking, I was all too eager to dig in! I had to make sure the flavors were there. Honestly! I get the feeling you don’t believe me…but all those restaurant and cooking shows tell you to taste your seasonings!! So, that’s what I’m doing! Don’t look at me like that! I’m serious! *snort*
And I’m serious about these sloppy joes. They are so tasty and perfect for quick meal any night of the week. Your kids, both big and little, will love these and ask for them again, and again.
- 12 ounces Italian turkey sausage
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup pizza sauce (or spaghetti sauce)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon pizza seasoning (you can make some like this recipe here)
- 1 cup fat free mozzarella cheese
- 4 whole grain, hamburger buns
- Heat a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the onions and bell peppers and saute until soft.
- Remove the sausage from the casings and cook until brown; about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the pizza sauce (or tomato sauce), tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and pizza seasoning. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Lightly toast 4, whole grain hamburger buns. Top with 2/3 cup of meat mixture. Sprinkle 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese on top and broil until the cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes, and serve.